Ring Light Flash

tacomadm18

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was looking at the Sigma 140 ring light flash (or canon MX), my question is, is this something that is worth it, or something that will just sit in the bag, seems like from what I've read there are mixed reviews on ring flashes in general,,,, application would be some general shooting and some macro, nothing crazy,,,

thanks

I use the Nikon equiv of the Canon MT-24EX nearly every time I break out my camera. Not just for macro either. I absolutely love mine. Though I dont think the Canon is wireless is it? I like the ability to hold my strobes off camera if need be.

As for ringlights, I dont like them. Not enough control over where the light is cast.

I was looking at the Sigma 140 ring light flash (or canon MX), my question is, is this something that is worth it, or something that will just sit in the bag, seems like from what I've read there are mixed reviews on ring flashes in general,,,, application would be some general shooting and some macro, nothing crazy,,,

thanks

Holy christ. It's $480 on Sigma's site. For that price, check out something like this:

Award Winning orbis? ringflash ? Create beautiful shadowless photos easily!

It'll probably be more effecient as it's not intended as a macro. Plus, it can be an amazing fill light and something you use a lot of the time if you do it right.

Check out this post on Strobist about how he uses it as a fill with some examples
Strobist: On Assignment: Caleb Jones

how about trying a DIY?

if you have a flash unit atm, this is a solid way to go for ~50$ i think.

thanks

Holy christ. It's $480 on Sigma's site. For that price, check out something like this:

It'll probably be more effecient as it's not intended as a macro. Plus, it can be an amazing fill light and something you use a lot of the time if you do it right.

Check out this post on Strobist about how he uses it as a fill with some examples

$199 for a DIY project? Looking at the orbis, it's essentially a round ring cake pan with a hole for the flash.

tacomadam, while it seems you have plenty of disposable income, try this if you want to save some of the money: Annual Report Photographer David Tejada "The f-Stops Here": Building a Ring Flash

thanks

$199 for a DIY project? Looking at the orbis, it's essentially a round ring cake pan with a hole for the flash.

tacomadam, while it seems you have plenty of disposable income, try this if you want to save some of the money: Annual Report Photographer David Tejada "The f-Stops Here": Building a Ring Flash

A cake pan that evenly distributes the light rather that having a DIY ring light that's hotter at the bottom and falls off up top. There was definitely some thought put into it's design.

Looks interesting, if I had 250$ then I'd go for the system until then I think I'ma try the 50$ DIY

The sample photos the DIY is producing are plenty for me at the moment :)

A cake pan that evenly distributes the light rather that having a DIY ring light that's hotter at the bottom and falls off up top. There was definitely some thought put into it's design.

A diffuser takes care of the hot spot.

so what are we saying, is a ring flash a good thing, and can be used in many situations,,,
I really don't want to deal with a DIY,,, I just like to shoot and experiment,,,,

more thoughts and options please,,,,,

thanks

That's really the best way to learn. Go out and buy the most expensive things you can, and play around.

The Sunpak 16R macro ring flash currently has a $100 instant savings offer from B&H thru December of this year, bringing that one down to $299. The Sigma 140 is $379 right now. I dunno...many high-tech flash units now cost $359 to $489, no matter what their form factor. That "used to be" a lot of money, but these days even $379 is only half a month's rent, or less...chit's expensive these days...

Many people think that macro ring flash looks boring, since it is directly on-axis. I think it looks pretty boring on most macro subjects, and that a small softbox located off to the left or right of the lens gives more modeling to the subject than on-axis ringlight. Have you thought about trying a small softbox or diffuser and connecting to the camera with a TTL remote flash cord? You might like the quality and directionality of that type of setup more than that from a ringlight.

Derrel

I like that idea, what type of bracket would you suggest for something like that, could you please point me to a web site, etc,,,, many thanks,,,,,

P.S - I'm not looking to spend money just to spend it,,, I'm looking for ideas and thoughts which will make my photos stand out,,,,, it just so happens I'm not really into DIY photo stuff,,,,, I do that enough in life........:)

thanks

I would do a Google search on the term "macro flash bracket",and you will see LOADS of units that will do the job. macro flash bracket - Google Search

Many macro shooters here, like NateS (currently on hiatus) and Overrread, have brackets. The less-costly brands seem okay to me. I have an oldie around here somewhere, marketed by KALT. THere are loads of Chinese-made ones being sold these days...go to Adorama or B&H and look around...they have plenty to choose from.

Here is just ONE of many, affordable, 2-flash brackets. Macro Flash Bracket - Manfrotto : Portable Strobe/Flash

Darrell makes a good point about macro flash brackets. Typical ring lights are pretty much a single use item and provide flat lighting. When I was looking for a macro flash I was interested in the MT-24 from Canon. Problem was, it was an arm and a leg for what was still a macro flash, even though it had greater capabilities than a typical macro flash ring.

What I ended up with was a good twin arm macro flash bracket and two 580's instead. Yes it was expensive, however I already had one 580. I picked up a gently used second 580 and the bracket. I can set my two 580's into any position you can put the MT-24 in, plus I have two very usable strobes for multiple photographic uses besides macro. It was for me cheaper in the long run and I get more use out of my gear. Just my 2cents on the matter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back