RIP "Old Dutch Cleanser"

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Back when I used to do printing on real paper, I was taught that "Old Dutch Cleanser" (a dry powder) was safe to use to clean "glossing plates". These were metal sheets which were used to get a gloss finish when using a paper dryer. The reputation of Old Dutch was that it would not scratch the gloss metal surface.

Later, when carcinogens and other ingredients in household products started to be an issue, I found that "Comet" was listed as particularly bad, and Ajax was also not great, but Dutch Cleanser seemed to be a safer alternative. The last time I bought Dutch Cleanser was around 2000. Lately, I went out of my way to look for it and could not find it. I just looked up the company's website and it turns out that "Old Dutch Cleanser" is no longer listed as a product. A sad day for me, but I think I'll live.
:)

My understanding was Old Dutch Cleanser was unique, because it was processed from a specific type of volcanic deposit.

Given the rise of spray and rinse cleaners, the market for Cleanser and Elbow Grease has all but disappeared. Those remaining have been enhanced with bleaches, scents and other marketable ideas.

Tack it onto changing times.

Have you tried Bon Ami? We used to use it to clean the parabolic mirrors in theater Motion Picture projectors back when I was a kid in the early 1980s. These were quite large mirrors in carbon arc projectors.

There used to be another cleaner called Bartender's Friend which I think was quite similar to Bon Ami.

Last edited:
Glossing plates were more properly known as ferrotype tins. I only had a couple of them back in the early 1980s, but I found that I could use a scrupulously clean mirror and achieve much the same effect with the fiber-based paper of the time. I kind of miss real dark room black and white prints.

Last edited:
Back when I used to do printing on real paper, I was taught that "Old Dutch Cleanser" (a dry powder) was safe to use to clean "glossing plates". These were metal sheets which were used to get a gloss finish when using a paper dryer. The reputation of Old Dutch was that it would not scratch the gloss metal surface.

Later, when carcinogens and other ingredients in household products started to be an issue, I found that "Comet" was listed as particularly bad, and Ajax was also not great, but Dutch Cleanser seemed to be a safer alternative. The last time I bought Dutch Cleanser was around 2000. Lately, I went out of my way to look for it and could not find it. I just looked up the company's website and it turns out that "Old Dutch Cleanser" is no longer listed as a product. A sad day for me, but I think I'll live.
:)
Bon Ami, around since 1886, has the logo of a newly hatched chick, and the slogan “Hasn’t scratched yet!” A classic ad. I just checked and it uses feldspar and limestone.

Last edited:
Bon Ami I used multiple times on the front windshield of my Camaros.
Worked wonderfully to get all matter of gunk and bug guts off.

Just watch the type of cloth you use and make sure its exceptionally clean, otherwise it can scratch as well.

My Pop used Bon Ami for whitewall tires back in the day.

I did some web searching for "Old Dutch Cleanser" and found that it is supposedly still manufactured by a company called Fitzpatrick Brothers of Quincy, IL. who also makes "Kitchen Klenzer" and "Bab-O Cleanser."

According to some comments, Old Dutch can still be found in dollar stores and "Big Lot" stores in some areas but these comments had no dates associated with them so ... I don't know.

Fitzpatrick Brothers phone number is
(217) 592-3500

Have you tried Bon Ami? We used to use it to clean the parabolic mirrors in theater Motion Picture projectors back when I was a kid in the early 1980s. These were quite large mirrors in carbon arc projectors.

There used to be another cleaner called Bartender's Friend which I think was quite similar to Bon Ami.

I never did use Old Dutch on my ferrotypes because I thought that I might as well use a dish washing liquid which should be even less likely to scratch, but I bought the Old Dutch just in case. I'll look around for Bon Ami when I have the time. I'll buy it "on principle". I don't want another good product disappearing.

@compur: ordering from IL could be a problem, or at the least expensive, crossing the border to Canuckland. :) We'll see how I do looking for Bon Ami, or maybe Bartender's Friend.

I used to prep my paint jobs with Bon Ami, warm water, and a gray 3M scuff pad. I did it before I started any primer or body work. Then after everything was primed and blocked, I did it one last time prior to sealer, color, and clear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back