Compact point and shoots

earthmanbuck

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My only point and shoot at the moment is a Pentax Espio 80V. It's okay, but I'd like to find something less bulky to replace it with, just for keeping in my coat pocket when I don't feel like carrying around an SLR. I've done a bit of size comparisons between models, but it seems like the more compact ones are also the really sought-after ones that consistently go for way too much (Contax T3, etc.). I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a Ricoh GR-1V (or potentially even a GR-1 or GR-1S), and while I'd consider paying some of the prices I'm seeing for a fully working one, it doesn't seem worth it for one with a burnt out LCD or other issues, which it seems 98% out there have.

I am pretty realistic about the quality of these types of cameras compared to SLRs or more solidly built RFs, so I'd really just like something on the smaller side that works okay. Flash, autofocus, and probably a lens on the wider side that retracts would be my top concerns, though having aperture control would be great too. Does anyone have any model recommendations to keep an eye out for?

Hmm, I was going to suggest an Olympus XA ... but you mentioned AF.
I've always like the Olympus Stylus ... but you mentioned aperture control.
Yeah, and the XA also doesn't have flash, correct? It's an external unit?

I had looked into the Stylus a while back and it seemed about the same size as my Espio, however I'm looking at the dimensions now and it actually is somewhat smaller. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled, but last I checked these were kind of pricey too.

Konica Big Mini or Nikon Lite Touch/AF600
Thanks for the recommendations, these both look promising!

..have a shelf of these, mostly zooms that I find compromise image quality for convenience. All are fully auto, so none that I have are aperture adjustable. Week or so ago tried some street type shots with my 600AF mostly because of the quite good 28mm lens. Found that it came up short missing focus enough to be a bother. Previous outings shooting more stationary subjects were great. Not what you asked, but prefer the tail end of the rangefinder - viewfinder lines from the late 70's. Minolta Hi Matic G2 my favorite, small, quiet, black, 38mm and range focusing so lots of dof from f8 up.

With respect, I'd shift attention to compact manual SLRs. Why? Simply because few among the better selling P&S models were renowned for durability. Zoom lenses rarely survived impact and even when repaired never seemed quite right. Trophy models so sought after now were not that much better despite better optics and less plastic. Sadly, repair options are scarce. You might luck out and find a GR that spent most of its life in a drawer but premium pricing on "mint" examples still buys an old camera that's really just a pricey disposable.
A dirt cheap option is the Harman reloadable. Crude but flash-equipped.

^ True.

If you look for these P&S film cameras on eBay you often find more that are broken or "untested" (which means broken usually) than those that are working. They were great in their day but they weren't really built to last.

I would suggest a refurbished fixed-lens rangefinder camera instead. Some have auto and manual exposure modes (though not auto-focus).

Last edited:
My Pop had a Ricoh R1 that he really liked before he went to a PnS dig.
Good tip, thanks!

With respect, I'd shift attention to compact manual SLRs. Why? Simply because few among the better selling P&S models were renowned for durability. Zoom lenses rarely survived impact and even when repaired never seemed quite right. Trophy models so sought after now were not that much better despite better optics and less plastic. Sadly, repair options are scarce. You might luck out and find a GR that spent most of its life in a drawer but premium pricing on "mint" examples still buys an old camera that's really just a pricey disposable.
A dirt cheap option is the Harman reloadable. Crude but flash-equipped.
Yeah, I know they're not great in general, which is why I've been trying to shift my thinking from "finding a good one" to "finding a small one that does what I want". I've read dozens of reviews and looked at a bunch of galleries of photos taken with various high end P&S cameras, and my undiscerning eye can't really tell much of a difference.

My real motivation is this: Where I live it gets pretty damn cold, so for 5-6 months of the year I'm not generally taking many pictures. Sometimes it's a concern for my cameras hanging off my side in cold temperatures (like when it's -40), and sometimes it's just a matter of not wanting to freeze my fingers focusing and fiddling with settings. I realize a plastic camera is not going to solve the problems of extremely cold weather, but if it's small at least I can throw it in my pocket or hang it around my neck under my jacket, and if it autofocuses I don't have to take it out for very long. All things considered, I far prefer shooting manually on solidly built cameras, but I also would like to shoot throughout the year.

I would suggest a refurbished fixed-lens rangefinder camera instead. Some have auto and manual exposure modes (though not auto-focus).
I'm somewhat open to that, if you have any suggestions. I do have a Bessa R that I love, but even with the smallest lens I have on there it's quite bulky and barely fits my biggest coat pocket.

Hmm, I just thought abut the Minolta TC-1 ... but it is overpriced.
Yeah, that's one I was looking into as well. Way too rich for my blood, seems like a neat camera though.

If small size is important then there are the Rollei 35 cameras. Some are pricey but some variants are fairly inexpensive. They are small and the lens retracts.

Otherwise: I used to carry a Stylus in my pocket. The original f/3.5 version. It's about as small as you can get in an auto-everything P&S and I was happy with the results. I believe they sell for about $50 currently if in good condition.

Another pocket camera I used to carry is a Canon MC.

Nah ... Rollei 35's suck ... no AF, no light meter, just some glass in a small box ... it's not even a rangefinder !!! :biggrin-93:
Sure it pretty, though.

Rollei 35
by Dennis, on Flickr

Nah ... Rollei 35's suck ... no AF, no light meter, just some glass in a small box ... it's not even a rangefinder !!! :biggrin-93:
Sure it pretty, though.

The Rollei 35 has a light meter.

But, you're right: it's sort of the opposite of a P&S camera. It's just so small.

Opps, I forgot about that needle thing on the top of the camera ... definitely been too long since I had it in my hands ... thanks for reminding me.

Most reactions

Back