River Overlook-advice?

pvclobster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took a bunch of photos at the river overlook today and was really disappointed with what I came home with. This photo was one of the best of them (yes, it's HDR because the exposure was weird and it has other issues, but I'm more interested in the composition). Advice on what I can do to make composition of landscape photos look like more than just a random snapshot? Thanks!
Picture3.jpg

It's not bad.. for an HDR though, it lacks contrast and 'oomph'

I played with it a bit and cropped most of the buildings out of the bottom. Had a few brews tonight so I may have botched it a bit but I think it just needs some editing punch.

sjVjh.jpg

#1. You have nothing interesting happening in the sky.
#2. You have nothing interesting happening in the foreground. Hell, there isn't a foreground at all.

Correct these and you'll have a good photo.

I don't know. The hillside in the distance can make an interesting focus. I like the contrast of the green foreground trees vs. the yellow of the hill. The picture definitely needs more contrast, though. You might play with the "Brightness/Contrast" settings in Photoshop.

Would you mind posting a higher resolution version? I could show you what I mean composition wise then. The current version wouldn't scale well.

Here's what I'm talking about with the brightness/contrast. I lowered the brightness just a little and added a lot of contrast. It gets rid of that "foggy" look (yes, I know it makes the town over-exposed).

Picture3v2.jpg

I think it needs less sky and more town. And some sharpening & contrast.

I dont think its too bad, I like the buildings. its nothing like florida here lol. If possable i (myself) would try to get more water into the forground. Is there a bridge over the river you could get to? Maybe incoperate into the shot? Might help might not.

Most reactions

Back