Road Trip From Hell...

3 weeks is plenty of time to shoot. Just forget about the blogging crap. Shoot now ~ post later.

Well, we'll see.

Certainly, the focus is on shooting. I'll probably never have a chance to make a trip like this again, so I'm going to want to do as much shooting as possible. But, if the opportunity presents itself, I wouldn't mind blogging while on the road, as I may not have a chance to do it once I get to Pennsylvania...

With the emphasis on "not doing a trip like this again", why not stops in places like Chicago, or Nashville, Memphis, or St. Louis?

I didn't ask in the first round, but now I'm just curious, as your route certainly isn't hitting the more "gonna go to" type spots. Have you been already, prior to this trip?

By "not doing a trip like this again", I was alluding to a cross-country trip, flyin' solo. I'm able to make my own schedule, adhere to it or blow it off, and not really be too concerned with what the impact will be, seeing as I'll be the only one affected.

St. Louis will definitely be a stop; just not an overnight one. Chicago? Meh. I've never been too enamored with Chicago. I don't mean that as a slight to Chicagoans, it's just a place that's never really called to me. Memphis and Nashville are places I'd like to go back to, and they're not completely off the radar for this trip. Unfortunately, the reality is that, even though I have a lot of time, it is a finite amount of time, and there's an endless list of places I'd like to visit...

I've been to Bozeman; visited the Gibson Acoustic Guitar Factory there a couple years ago. Had dinner over in Belgrade. Good times.

I hadn't really thought about a CB. I had one the other times I drove across, and I certainly made use of them. Hell, I wouldn't even know where to go to buy one these days. Does Radio Shack still sell them? Man, I don't even know how to hook one up!

Check out most any large truck stop. They often have CBs and even some hand held ones that won't take as much to hook up.

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

From Missoula stop by Bozeman (my home town). On the way to Wyoming drive through Yellowstone. In SD you'll see signs for Walldrug, SD. It is a tourist trap but kitchy and fun. Good bison burgers and cheap motels. There are greasy spoons all along the highways. If you have a CB ask truckers in the area. If you don't have a CB, get one. They are too much fun on the road. We drove from Montana to Maryland and Montana to Florida almost every year. Loved those road trips.

I've been to Bozeman; visited the Gibson Acoustic Guitar Factory there a couple years ago. Had dinner over in Belgrade. Good times.

I hadn't really thought about a CB. I had one the other times I drove across, and I certainly made use of them. Hell, I wouldn't even know where to go to buy one these days. Does Radio Shack still sell them? Man, I don't even know how to hook one up!

They do I still I believe.

If you are passing through Kansas City, my vote is for Gates BBQ Gates Bar B.Q.. However my moms choice would be Arthur Bryant's Gates Bar B.Q.. If you are there for more than one meal, try them both and let me know your thoughts.

Good luck on your trip, I am sure you will have a great time.

Yep. I am from Kansas City too. Gates is pretty good, but I tend to like the hole in the wall places with live music. My brother is a dentist in Missoula. I go there once a year to visit. It is beautiful! If you break a tooth while you are in Missoula let me know and I will hook you up! Have a good trip.

If I had the time... National parks, national parks, national parks. Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, grand canyon, arches, black canyon of the gunnison, etc etc etc.

Take the time to get off the beaten path as much as possible, both in your driving, and at the parks.

When driving the back roads, look for local interest.... FIND THE STORY. Shoot it and document it ($20 micro cassette recorder), so you can put the images and the stories back together when you have time.

See an interesting fence falling down with the cows wandering in the road? get the pictures... then go talk to the farmer and see what he has to say.

See a junk yard with hot pink, lime green and neon yellow vw bugs out front? Stop and take the time to ask about the cars. Get some pictures of the owner.

Stuff like that.

Btw, 3 weeks cross country may not be as leisurely as it seems... especially if you have a couple 2-4 day layovers planned.

Sounds like a blast!

If I had the time... National parks, national parks, national parks. Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, grand canyon, arches, black canyon of the gunnison, etc etc etc.

Take the time to get off the beaten path as much as possible, both in your driving, and at the parks.

When driving the back roads, look for local interest.... FIND THE STORY. Shoot it and document it ($20 micro cassette recorder), so you can put the images and the stories back together when you have time.

See an interesting fence falling down with the cows wandering in the road? get the pictures... then go talk to the farmer and see what he has to say.

See a junk yard with hot pink, lime green and neon yellow vw bugs out front? Stop and take the time to ask about the cars. Get some pictures of the owner.

Stuff like that.

Excellent ideas...

Btw, 3 weeks cross country may not be as leisurely as it seems... especially if you have a couple 2-4 day layovers planned.

Oh, I know that!

I actually want to do it in closer to two weeks, simply because I want to try to spend a week with my Dad before I head off to the gig...

For cheap hotels/motels pick up a coupon book at an interstate rest stop, they have good deals through out the week. :)

There is a cool waterfall in NY state, about an hour west of I81 but I can not think of its name.

I'm going to be relocating at the end of next month, from Portland Oregon to Pennsylvania. I landed a photo gig there which is paying quite well, and my expenses are covered. It'll last for two months and then be over. At that point, I'll move to St. Augustine, FL, where my brother and my Mom both have homes. At age 50, it looks like I'll be leaving the music industry for good.

The new gig isn't the point of this post, though.

The point of this is that I'm going to have two to three weeks to make the drive cross-country. I'm looking at this as a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I've got a whole lot more days behind me than I've got in front of me, so I want to make this count.

I've got a tentative trip mapped out, but it could always be open to amendment:

• Portland to Missoula, MT: Going to spend a few days with my old bass player and his boys, do some shooting. 2-4 days
  • Missoula to Sheridan, WY: Why? I've never been to Wyoming, and this looks as good as any other place in Wyoming. Overnight stop
  • Sheridan to Rapid City, SD: Visit Mt. Rushmore. I want to break out the guitar play The Beatle's "Rocky Raccoon" while actually in the Black Mountain hills of Dakota. 2 days
  • Rapid City to Sioux Falls, SD: No reason, really; it's on the way. Overnight stop
  • Sioux Falls to Kansas City, MO: Get some B-B-Q. Overnight stop
  • Kansas City to Louisville, KY: Visit an old guitar playing buddy, eat too much, drink too much, tell too many lies. Probably do some guitar playing. Maybe go to Churchill Downs. 2-3 days
  • Louisville to Wheeling, WV: Maybe check out the Wheeling Suspension Bridge. Maybe sleep. Overnight stop
  • Wheeling to Wallkill, NY: Few people know that Wallkill was the originally planned site for the Woodstock Music & Arts Festival in 1969. It's also where my Dad lives. 5 days or so

After visiting my Dad, I'll head off to the new gig.

Because I've got so much time to make this trip, my schedule (such as it is) is supremely flexible. Given that, anyone care to suggest some things to shoot along the way? Anyone care to recommend some inexpensive lodging in any of those cities? I don't need Marriott or Hilton. I'd be satisfied with "The Wagon Wheel Inn" (free wi-fi would be great). I'd also love to find out about some local "greasy spoons" at which to eat. I don't recoup my expenses until I get to Pennsylvania, so I want to be at least a bit frugal during the trip.

Hopefully, I'll have the energy (and time) to edit photos and blog during the trip. At the very least, I'll post photos here.

I'm excited as Hell to make this trip...

For cheap hotels/motels pick up a coupon book at an interstate rest stop, they have good deals through out the week. :)

Hey, now THAT'S a good idea. I'm going to want to mitigate my expenses as much as possible on this trip. I don't plan on being a tight-wad, but I definitely wouldn't mind being a bit more frugal than I normally am, at least until I get to Pennsylvania.

The coupon book; an outstanding suggestion!

There is a cool waterfall in NY state, about an hour west of I81 but I can not think of its name.

Big? Small? Wide?

If you think of the name, definitely let me know!

It was pretty tall and narrow, looked to be in an open top cavern. I wish I could remember the name, I go up to Canada a couple of times a year and it will only add an hour to the trip. :)

If you get the coupon book, before mentioning you have the coupon ask if they have availability. I could be paranoid but they seem to be no vacancy if I mention the coupon first, but that was around Christmas time.

depending what part of ny your going, niagara falls is an option for you, and lake ontario and the other great lakes.

depending what part of ny your going, niagara falls is an option for you, and lake ontario and the other great lakes.

Thanks, Gerry. The tip about asking for availability first is a great idea!

As for the comment above, I spent eight years working in Canada (based in San Diego), and have spent an inordinate amount of time around Lake Ontario, Lake Erie and Niagara Falls (both sides)...

I tried to find the link I sent my wife by gmail but I cant, I did find this one on google though but I dont think its the same one, but still pretty.

Watkins Glen State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Niagara falls was better 20 years ago, now its to commercial wtih all the tall buildings right by the falls, that or im remembering it differently from a kids point of view. :D niagara falls is pretty cool in February with all the ice and lack of people around, and free parking :D

I'm originally from a small town outside of Ottawa, I love the 1000s of lakes and islands around there. Thats the main thing I miss living in VA, all the lakes.

If you do Mt Rushmore, make sure to also see Crazy Horse. And take some time in Custer State Park, some really fantastic rock formations. Have fun, it's really beautiful out there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back