Rocks in the ocean: Oregon Coast - Pic heavy

zulu42

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One could spend a lifetime photographing the Oregon coast. With a little time between family and holiday plans, I was able to grab about 400 shots last week. Here's a few to share. Please enjoy.
C&C always valued and thanks for looking!

Oregon Coast-1-2.jpg

Oregon Coast-1-4.jpg

Oregon Coast-1-16.jpg

Oregon Coast-1-11.jpg

Oregon Coast-1-7.jpg

Oregon Coast-1-12.jpg

Oregon Coast-1-10.jpg

Oregon Coast-1-13.jpg

Last edited:
Nice set! #4 is pretty cool! It's almost something right out of the 1968, "Planet of the Apes."

You made some very good photos. I think I agree with you. The Oregon coast is a Wonderland for photographers. In 1986 when I was about 23 I made a photo very much like your number 8. I recognize that very spot. In the global span of time, two and a half decades is nothing.

It was at Bandon beach where I shot my first roll of ISO 3200 color negative film.

All great but I'll take #5.

All wonderful! The last one is a stunner. Adding to my bucket list - horseback ride along Oregon coast.

Lovely shots. I’m partial to 3 and 4.

One could spend a lifetime photographing the Oregon coast. With a little time between family and holiday plans, I was able to grab about 400 shots last week. Here's a few to share. Please enjoy.

View attachment 183137

View attachment 183138
View attachment 183144

View attachment 183141
View attachment 183139

View attachment 183142

View attachment 183140

8View attachment 183143
Great set. #8 is gorgeous, but I keep going back to the black and white images.

Thank you all for the views and comments :)
I have been feeling limited in lenses since I broke my 24-85 and haven't filled the gap. For this trip I had an 18-35, a 50mm 1.8, the 105mm 2.8, and the 150-600. I was wishing for a nice 24-70, but I had fun choosing based on what was available. I ended up shooting more telephoto landscapes this time out, and got some of my favorite shots. Also shot a roll of color film in a K1000 which will be developed some time in the next year or so...

Nice set! #4 is pretty cool! It's almost something right out of the 1968, "Planet of the Apes."

Thanks Kirk! A note of interest on that shot: I unwittingly caught a picture of a guy taking a leak by one of the rocks. Thank God for Photoshop!

You made some very good photos. I think I agree with you. The Oregon coast is a Wonderland for photographers. In 1986 when I was about 23 I made a photo very much like your number 8. I recognize that very spot. In the global span of time, two and a half decades is nothing.
Thanks very much Derrel. There were so many great places to shoot. I was mostly at the coastline, but the rivers and valleys in the coastal mountain range are a whole other world. I guessed I wasn't the first guy at #8 with a tripod :) I surely wasn't the first who had to sprint away from the rising tide. In fact, that whole area was submerged for the rest of the week.

Zulu, Number five is my favorite, really nice set.
Thank you kindly!

Shot #3 is quite lovely
Thank you. SOOC and one of my favorites the moment I took it. 150mm if I recall.

Great set! #8 my favorite. It looks like Oregon is my first stop when I re-visit the states.
Thanks and let me know when you're coming! Your beach shooting skills would be quite handy here.

Good set.......
:)

8 For the win! all nice shots though, but I love the sand with the water in 8.
Thanks very much. I had some bracketed exposures of that shot, even with built in flash on the foreground, so I could have pulled a bunch more shadow detail. But I went with a single exposure I think it represents the location.

All great but I'll take #5.
Thank you. #5 is an HDR merge of four or five exposures.

All wonderful! The last one is a stunner. Adding to my bucket list - horseback ride along Oregon coast.
Thanks very much :) Do it!

Lovely shots. I’m partial to 3 and 4.
Thank you waday

View attachment 183137

View attachment 183138
View attachment 183144

View attachment 183141
View attachment 183139

View attachment 183142

View attachment 183140

8View attachment 183143
Great set. #8 is gorgeous, but I keep going back to the black and white images.
Thank you very much :)
I agree, the b&w images manage to tell the tale of the area without any help from color

It sounds like you had plenty of lenses to choose from, and based upon your results it looks like there was no harm done by the missing 24 to 85 millimeter lens. I would think that the 150mm - 600mmzoom lens would be really good at the coast. I really used to like my 80 to 400 especially when I was shooting from the headlands. Many times a stabilized lens is really valuable at the coast especially when winds kick up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back