Rocks

YoBenny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
That's whats in my head too sometimes.:banghead:

Tried all the "auto" settings some a little better not much.
There's gotta be a cool way to catch these rocks I'm gonna try and find it....
$rocks.jpg

Low just over the top while they are wet. ohh light paint them that could be neat

Scoot the tray or whatever is holding the rocks right up against the vertical post. Use the horizontal post as a leading line from the bottom corner.

Pretty much do the same as here, but use the lines to your advantage to create more depth.

Eta: also, shoot in RAW if you aren't already; you'll really be able to adjust the colors in post, makin the individual arrowheads pop.

YoBenny! Obviously those are more than just "rocks". I suggest that you pose them individually or in small groups. You could also lay them out in a pattern or a circle for instance.

Also, find a nice dark velvet and get some light on them. Yes, I read that you only have an SB-400, but that will work if you modify the light. I'm thinking of a small softbox attachment or even a white paper shield over the light.

Use your tripod if you can make it hold the camera pointing directly down over the middle of the arrangement. Otherwise, stand over the arrowheads and hold the camera looking straight down on them.

You also could go the flash route and use a snoot to create some different lighting looks.

You need to isolate.

Looks like a bunch of your wife's decorative rocks, in a dish, on the railing of your deck.

If that's what you want, you nailed it.

What's in your mind's eye?
Much like anything in life, you should have a vision of what you want to see then go for it.

In my opinion, I'd want to see some light painted long exposer photos of a few rocks by themselves. I'm a fan of odd numbers, so 3 or so.
A solid dark color to lay them on, maybe something small to prop them up to give them some dimension, but it's blocked by the rock so you cannot see it.. etc.

Doing some bulb, or otherwise long exposure shots will give you a better grasp of light and how if gives dimension and definition to photos. Since you mentioned trying a few different modes with the camera.

I would suggest wetting them, then place them in their natural environment and go tight on them to expose their detail. Be creative.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back