Rode Videomic Go on Canon 650D Hissing Problem

prinzie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey there guys! I'm kinda new here but I'm glad I can ask for opinions on this problem.

So, I bought a Rode Videomic Go as an external mic of my Canon 650D a few months ago. The first time I plugged it in and tried recording video, there was a lot of hissing noise. I tried to adjust the audio settings to the recommended one from the manual but still had the hissing noise at any volume level. The problem existed just like that so I very rarely used the Rode Videomic Go. Instead of having
better audio, I ended up with more problems with my audio.

I know it can be removed or fixed in post-production but it's just disappointing to use the microphone now since I have to go through all that whenever I use it. Might as well just use my built-in microphone. Kinda feel bad that I spent money on something that won't work and I'm only a student running on low budget right now.

I would like to know if this is a problem in the Rode Videomic Go itself? Because if it is, then should I just use the warranty (I live in Korea btw)?
Or is it a mismatch of mic and DSLR model? If this is so, I might as well just sell it off since it's still in mint condition. Maybe a recommendation of other external mics or shotgun mics would be nice also.

Let me know your opinion or advice on this one. It'll be much appreciated!!!

Does the hissing go away when there are sounds in the video? eg: is someone starts talking does it go away?

If that is the case then what is most likely causing it is the Auto gain control (AGC) function on your camera. Essentially what it does is that as soon as the noise levels go quiet, the camera pumps the gain to try and record softer sounds. This has the adverse effect of introducing signal noise to your video. Im not familiar with the 650D specifically, but look through your setting and see if you can turn the AGC off. That should solve the issue.

If that doesn't, try find a friend who you can test the mid on their camera (with AGC off) and see if it still produces the noise. If so, then the chances are good that there is an issue with the microphone itself. In that case you should probably send it back and have them either swap it out or repair it.

It still hisses when someone speaks. I tried looking for other audio settings in 650D but there doesn't seem to be an option to turn off the AGC? I tried installing Magic Lantern just now but seems like it also doesn't have settings to turn off the AGC for Canon 650D.
Problem also is that my friends who have DSLR cameras are in their home countries for vacation so I don't really have anyone to test it with. TT

*Update: I tried testing it in my phone and computer. It doesn't seem to have the very bad hissing sounds like the ones I have when I video record on Canon 650D.

Last edited:
Canon Manual - Page 193: The option you are looking for is 'Sound Recording'. Change that to manual and then it will allow you to set the noise levels manually rather than it boosting the gain when it gets quiet.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back