Rokinon 14mm 2.8

Just know that you will not only have to focus, but meter manually with that lens. Which may not be such a bad thing for landscapes, but isn't so good for, well, any other time.

Mark

Just know that you will not only have to focus, but meter manually with that lens. Which may not be such a bad thing for landscapes, but isn't so good for, well, any other time.

Mark

I see. Thanks!

Anyone else?

Those lenses are pretty sharp but usually distort quite a bit. Check out a site like photozone.de or lenstip.com for details about how much distortion you'll actually have to deal with.

I can't speak for that particular lens, but when it came time to plunk down the cash for a FE, I opted for the Nikkor. Just as fast, but the Nikkor is smaller & lighter. Not sure about the Canon counterpart, but I figured I'd be carrying the lens no matter the price I paid. And the Nikkor is, well, smaller & lighter, and that's what tipped the scales for me.

I can't speak for that particular lens, but when it came time to plunk down the cash for a FE, I opted for the Nikkor. Just as fast, but the Nikkor is smaller & lighter. Not sure about the Canon counterpart, but I figured I'd be carrying the lens no matter the price I paid. And the Nikkor is, well, smaller & lighter, and that's what tipped the scales for me.

Oh okay. I might just save up for a Canon lens then. What does the FE signify, and/or stand for?

Oh i see. This 14mm isn't a fisheye though, right? They have an 8mm Fisheye, I didn't think this was considered one..

Oh i see. This 14mm isn't a fisheye though, right? They have an 8mm Fisheye, I didn't think this was considered one..

Right.

Tokina makes a 10-17mm Fisheye, and Canon now makes an 8-16mm Fisheye, which looks to be a badass lens. That is, if you're considering a fisheye. If not, I'd still go for something you're not going to want to be replacing after a month's time of frustrating (fully manual, in every sense of the word) use. The choice is, of course, yours, though.

Mark

This 14mm is not a fisheye, but due to it's distortion, it doesn't really look like a rectilinear, even though it is. The Canon counterpart is >$2200... it's a big jump, but it's also a much nicer lens.

Are you shooting full frame? or do you intend to? If not you'd probably be better suited with something like a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, or a Sigma 10-20 f/3.5, even the Sigma 8-16 f/4-5.6.

That's a good question I didn't think about asking. If you're shooting DX or whatever Canon's acronym is for it, definitely go for the Tokina 11-16/2.8. It's a spectacular lens. The best rectilinear UWA made in terms of distortion, image quality, speed, and construction, by far. It's got a SLIGHT CA problem, but not really a big deal.

Mark

Most reactions

Back