What's new

Lenses for Travel

Cheex

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 7, 2011
Messages
75
Reaction score
27
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm going to Thailand in 2 weeks to volunteer and travel for a month. I've got 3k budgeted to spend on any lenses and equipment I may need. Anyone have recommendations?

My Gear:
Nikon D700 (gripped)
14-24mm f/2.8
85mm f/1.4

Canon T2i (gripped)
Canon 180mm L f/3.5 macro
580 EXII

Misc.
Manfrotto Tripod that suits me perfectly.
Great Lowepro backpack
4 8GB Memory Cards


I'm primarily looking to get another lens for the FF Nikon. The Canon is just for macro shooting... just a carry over before I got the 700. Anyone know if the 28-300 is a good lens? It could be the perfect solution but I just haven't heard much about it.
 
Last edited:
If it was me, I would get the 24-70 2.8 and a used 80-200 2.8. With your wide angle that you already have, that's pretty close to the trifecta for Nikon. It would cover 99% of shooting circumstances.

You didn't mention if you have a flash, but an SB800 wouldn't be bad to have in the bag as well.

As far as the 28-300, I'm afraid I don't have any experience. I tend to stay away from the 'one lens fits all' solutions. Kind of takes away the advantage of having an interchangable lens camera, imo.
 
I enjoy the 70-200 when I travel, and I travel often on non-photography related business.
 
Ouch. Those definitely look like top of the line lenses but the 2 would cost 4k... Since I have the 85 I guess I should go with the 70-200 first. I'll just have to take a couple steps back if I'm in the 25-85mm range.

Need to purchase these tomorrow because the Oct. 16th Nikon jump in prices.

Any other ideas?
 
My professor explained good top-shelf glass is an investment.

He also gave us examples that Nikon glass he bought in the 90's he sold for what he paid for it recently when he upgraded to the 70-200. He said even though the lenses lost value initially as used, the price of the new increases so much over time it all worked out.

I don't expect to break even if i sell, but its really really cheap rent and I'm thrilled with the 70-200 VRII.

Good luck with your lens shopping
bigthumb.gif
 
If it was me, I would get the 24-70 2.8 and a used 80-200 2.8. With your wide angle that you already have, that's pretty close to the trifecta for Nikon. It would cover 99% of shooting circumstances.

You didn't mention if you have a flash, but an SB800 wouldn't be bad to have in the bag as well.

As far as the 28-300, I'm afraid I don't have any experience. I tend to stay away from the 'one lens fits all' solutions. Kind of takes away the advantage of having an interchangable lens camera, imo.
^^ This!
 
Ouch. Those definitely look like top of the line lenses but the 2 would cost 4k... Since I have the 85 I guess I should go with the 70-200 first. I'll just have to take a couple steps back if I'm in the 25-85mm range.

Need to purchase these tomorrow because the Oct. 16th Nikon jump in prices.

Any other ideas?

The 24-70 is around $1700. Amazon.com: Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens: Camera & Photo

The 80-200 can be had for around $1100. http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-80-200m...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318591563&sr=1-1

I had actually said the 80-200 instead of the 70-200 to help you stay within your budget. If you want to knock a few more bucks off, since you already have the wide angle covered, you could pick up the 28-70 2.8 instead of the 24-70 2.8. The 28-70 2.8 is around $1200. You can also go with an older 80-200 2.8 to get down to around $650 to $900 depending on the model you choose.

Good luck to you with whatever you decide. I don't think you can make a bad choice with any of your options.
 
You could always go with the 24-70 and Sigma 50-500mm OS. This would cover everything (with your 14-24) from landscape, to portraits, to tigers.

Mark
 
look for used and get both the 24-70f2.8 and 70-200f2.8 vr1 for your budget. You don't mention your present location but here I see an abundance of these two lenses going used but pristine for ~$1500 ea.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom