What's new

Rokinon? Opinions/Experiences!

MikeisEdge

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 10, 2011
Messages
59
Reaction score
1
Location
Orlando, Florida
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The idea of the Rokinon 85mm MAF-N f/1.4 Asperical Lens for Nikon as been introduced to me. It's the only lens that is in my price-range that would work for me when shooting sports. (My price-range is <$500)


Have you used this lens?
What are you opinions of this lens?

I'd like to know as much as I can about something before I purchase it. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any useful reviews...
 
It's going to be a harder-to-use lens for sports. It requires you to not only zoom and focus manually, but to meter manually as well. I would just jump for the 85/1.8 and the price would be roughly the same. All you would be missing is the soft, contrast-lacking photos at 1.4. You won't use the extra 1/3 stop for sports anyhow.

Mark
 
Yeah, I've noticed the prices are close. Although... And here is my logic: I'm thinking of getting the 50mm 1.8G for a lower price, and using it for when I'm at the games. This way when I can actually afford a proper zoom-lens for sports I'll have other purposes for which I could use the 50mm 1.8 (Portraits, etc. as opposed to the 85mm which I feel would more difficult to take portraits with.)
 
DEFINITELY, buy the 85mm f/1.8 autofocus lens instead--most decidedly, get the AF lens!!!
 
Rokinon is 'sort of okay' at best. I'm not sure what sports you're shooting, but 85mm is pretty short. Have you considered saving for an 80-200 f2.8? The older versions can be had for ~$600, and I think it would serve you a LOT better.
 
What lenses do you own now? What sports do you shoot?

Many people think that the 85 is the perfect portrait lens. Beautiful optics, and good control over DOF. No distortion. Good length of distance between you and the subject and still fill the frame. Which I would get also has to do with what camera you're using. If it's Canon 1.6x, or Nikon 1.5x, most people would tell you to get the 50. I would say get the 85 if you want to do portraits, but that's just me. I've done portraits with the 35/1.8G and 50/1.8g. But have found times that I would need my 80-200/2.8D. So, there's really not a perfect lens. For sports, I would definitely save just a little more money to get the 80-200/2.8D (two-touch version) or Sigma 70-200/2.8 (any version will do). But, that's just me. Out of your lenses, I would say the 85/1.8 would still work better for sports and portraits alike.

If you decide on a 50mm, you should also look into the Sigma 50/1.4. It's a beautiful lens.

Mark

EDIT: Damn, Tirediron beat me to it. :mrgreen:
 
Lol, well thanks a ton guys. I really do just want a fixed lens. I can't afford a good zoom lens right now, so I'll probably buy the 85mm 1.8G for the purposes of having a good portrait lens as well... And save for the 80-200 2.8.

This website has been a ton of help for me... You guys are all awesome. I'm slowly but surely learning more and more.

...-To think I didn't know one thing about cameras 1 month ago. Picking things up quickly thanks to you guys, and Bryan Peterson!
 
You are having this very same discussion up above in the beginner section. Are you expecting different answers?

If dad doesn't give the answer we want lets ask mom
bigthumb.gif
 
Different discussion. I am simply asking what experiences people have had with the rokinon. It was brought to my attention in the other thread, but I wasn't sure if it was reliable and last I checked no one was telling me if it was worth the purchase.

Sorry for posting questions I have. <3

PS: I did get different people responding to this one, so getting "mom" and "dads" opinion was helpful.
 
Different discussion. I am simply asking what experiences people have had with the rokinon. It was brought to my attention in the other thread, but I wasn't sure if it was reliable and last I checked no one was telling me if it was worth the purchase.

Sorry for posting questions I have. <3

PS: I did get different people responding to this one, so getting "mom" and "dads" opinion was helpful.

kewl, you can't take me too seriously anyway its the Internetz. I meant no ill will
bigthumb.gif
 
Haha, it's the internet, can't take anyone seriously... :p and no worries man. I know I've been posting a lot here. I've just got a lot to learn!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom