Rokkor HG35mm w/ macro extension

Soocom1

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Some unexpected results when I put a Rokkor HG 35mm with a Rokkor macro extension on.
The flowers would only focus at extremely short distance even at f16 (1:2 eq of f~24).

But fascinating regardless..

JmwvKr0.jpg

Then this daisy with the 35mm alone:
hNIUdAP.jpg

This with the extension and a flash..
It backfilled against the green...

I6x6nC9.jpg

Cool, you can get some neat shots when you start experimenting. :)

35 mm is about a short lens as you want to add an extension to. With most 28 mm lenses if you add as little as 11 mm of extension the lens will be at focus within the barrel itself. Strange but true. I remember using a Tokina 28 to 70 with a Kenco 11 mm tube and at 28 mm the point of focus was within the barrel itself and around 35 mm I was able to do a few close up photos.

Because of this Nikon made some extremely small extension tubes called the K tubes and by small I mean extension tubes as short as 3 mm or so. K- rings as they were commonly called are available still on eBay, and they are perfect for use with wide-angle lenses.

Longer lenses (85, 100, 135, 200mm) will give you a greater working distance in front of the lens. your experience with the 35 mm length is quite normal, in that you must have the subject very close to the front of the lens when you are using an extension tube with a short lens like that.

35 mm is about a short lens as you want to add an extension to. With most 28 mm lenses if you add as little as 11 mm of extension the lens will be at focus within the barrel itself. Strange but true. I remember using a Tokina 28 to 70 with a Kenco 11 mm tube and at 28 mm the point of focus was within the barrel itself and around 35 mm I was able to do a few close up photos.

Because of this Nikon made some extremely small extension tubes called the K tubes and by small I mean extension tubes as short as 3 mm or so. K- rings as they were commonly called are available still on eBay, and they are perfect for use with wide-angle lenses.

You just had to challenge me....
Just couldnt resist or give it up eh?
:laughing:

The extension tube with my $5.00 Rokkor 20mm...
kbzywzQ.jpg

SO THERE!

Last edited:
If your lens has a relatively long minimum Focus distance, then it will work. On older wide-angles that do not focus too closely you can sometimes use an extension tube.

Are you using the lens on a mirrorless? That could have a big impact.mirrorless changes the flange focal equation quite markedly.

Last edited:
Yep.. Remember that I have the Minolta glass on the Fuji.

That camera has been a God send. The lens was nearly touching the top of the tripod (that's the top screw of a manfrotto) AND I had to set the lens to total min. focus then focus by moving in and out.

NOW I understand the need for the adjustable base...
(apologize to John for not fully grasping his post on that. )

I may try with the bellows next.. I want a 50mm bellows but man they are expensive.

Most reactions

Back