To be honest with you, I struggle to see a/ a story of a dinner went sour and b/anything romantic about the still life image.
First of all it is the tablecloth. It is drab. When I see such cloth with a yellowish border, that has never seen an iron, on a restaurant table, I leave, even if alone, never mind a "romantic dinner".
Vignetting adds to the negative impression making it more dirty and drab than it really is.
The rose. This rose was dead yesterday. So much for romance. The petals are too dark on the white cloth, why not using a lighter colour? Black roses symbolise "farewell", but these are not black either..
Why bread? Why not a chicken leg or a fish tail ? Really, I am not joking. The vignetting and composition highlight this piece of bread as the main point of interest. What is so symbolic, romantic and story telling about this piece of bagette that left crumbles all over the place?
I used the word "composition" here, but to be honest I can not see it. Funny enough the organisers have mercilessly savaged the composition for their poster and it did not become worse or better. And the reason is - there is no composition. Why did you use a square - the least elegant format for such supposedly elegant theme? Why there is no consideration for visual weight and balance? Why the lighting range is so dull, there is no bright reflections on the glass, no silverware that can add contrast, broaden up the dynamic range and make it deeper and more dramatic? There is a lot of questions about the image, that is supposed to be carefully arranged.
If in doubt look at the image through the half shut eyes - and here you will clearly see a face, something like a kid's drawing. That is not romantic in my book.
I am not trying to be negative, but it is, as stated on the poster, the second year photography, and you have mentioned earlier that you have worked with the best photographers in the world and that you are being tutored by one of them... This is quite a statement.. Bearing that in mind, I am at a complete loss here. To me it is just a casual snapsot of a restaurant table rather than a "romantic still life project" or a romantic dinner went sour... A quarrel in a 2nd rate joint at best.
Just my 2p, we may have different views on romance. I am old-fashioned.