Rookie Mistake while sensor cleaning.

hotdrop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently bought a used D200 and I was noticing a lot of nasty residue on my photos. At first I thought it was the zoom lens but on further inspection I noticed the same problem on all my other lenses so I decided to clean the low pass filter. Opened it up and discovered a lot of dust and residue. I cleaned most of it off but I either created or uncovered a single ½ cm low pass filter scratch (DOH) and there is still a lot of residue inside the area near the filter that afraid will dislodge and migrate back on the sensor. As I was cleaning the sensor with 99% alcohol and KimTech wipes I got quite a bit of alcohol on the area around the mirror and wiped off most of what appears to be dry film lube in the mirror travel path. Is there any way to reapply this stuff, if so where can I buy it? How important is it?

I recently bought a used D200 and I was noticing a lot of nasty residue on my photos. At first I thought it was the zoom lens but on further inspection I noticed the same problem on all my other lenses so I decided to clean the low pass filter. Opened it up and discovered a lot of dust and residue. I cleaned most of it off but I either created or uncovered a single ½ cm low pass filter scratch (DOH) and there is still a lot of residue inside the area near the filter that afraid will dislodge and migrate back on the sensor. As I was cleaning the sensor with 99% alcohol and KimTech wipes I got quite a bit of alcohol on the area around the mirror and wiped off most of what appears to be dry film lube in the mirror travel path. Is there any way to reapply this stuff, if so where can I buy it? How important is it?

Sounds like you NEED to send it in for servicing. If you can see a scratch that big, there are probably many more they you cannot see.

How exactly were you cleaning it that it got scratched so bad?

yeah. the razor blades and brillos, don't do that man...

It wouldn't be worth sending it in for service. The D200 body runs about 200 used, it would cost around 100 for the filter and at least the same for labor. Makes absolutely no sense to do that. I'm not a pro so I'm going to have to live with it for now and learn from my mistakes. Maybe there was a grain of sand there or something because I only used a microfiber cloth and some Kimtech wipes +99% alcohol. The scratch isn't normally visible to the naked eye but with a light at just the right angle it will show up not much I can do about that.

Last edited:
I only used a microfiber cloth and some Kimtech wipes +99% alcohol.

Im sure you song want do hear this but nether of those things should be used to clean a camera sensor. Only proper sensor cleaning equipment.

You may be better off sending it in and having it converted into a infra red camera.
LifePixel Digital Infrared Photography IR Conversion, Modification & Scratched Sensor Repair

I realize that now what I used was not really appropriate. I had erroneously assumed that because the filter was glass I could clean it like I would clean a lens. That being said a working D200 body is only worth 200-250 and a parts one is probably worth around 100 so sending it for $200 worth of service costs is not very reasonable. For now I plan to live with the scratch but the dry film lube is what im curious about. I couldn’t find any specifications for it or any discussion on how one might go about applying it (or really any discussion of how important it is). I expect not having it will cause the mirror mechanics to fail early and if it was easy and inexpensive I would like to reapply it and learn by fixing my mistakes.

Convert it to an IR body and make a profit.

Look for graphite lube. If it's liquid, put a small drop on a toothpick and place it where it needs to be. If spray, spray on a separate surface to get a drop on your toothpick.

Look for graphite lube. If it's liquid, put a small drop on a toothpick and place it where it needs to be. If spray, spray on a separate surface to get a drop on your toothpick.

Thanks, this was the answer i was looking for. How important is it?

On the IR body tangent how exactly does one make money doing that?

Thanks, this was the answer i was looking for. How important is it?

On the IR body tangent how exactly does one make money doing that?

Have it converted (either by yourself or a company) and then sell it as an IR converted camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back