Rotating flash brackets ...

Timbo1961

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Everyone ...
Just a quick thread to find out what you are all using for a rotating flash bracket.
I have a D700 with battery pack and an SB900 and am looking for a rotating bracket that allows me to easily switch from portrait to landscape and back again while keeping the flash over the lens.
I have seen a couple models ... the Really Right Stuff and also ones from Stroboframe and Custom Brackets ....
Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tim

I think the big decision is whether you want one that flips the flash or one that rotates the camera. If you use any sort of flash accessory, it may or may not work the way you want if the flash is turned 90 degrees, as with a flash flip type bracket.

I have a Stroboframe Press-T bracket. It flips the flash but it's main feature is that it's made so you hold the camera itself and not a handle on the bracket. I like it but honestly don't use it as much as I used to...the whole rig is just too big and cumbersome for a fast paced wedding.

Stroboframe is a good brand and I have heard really good things about C.B....but they are not cheap.

Don't forget that you will need a TTL cord as well.

Ijust picked THIS up for my dad... cheap and effective... but honestly, if you want to light things up PROPERLY using that D700... go completely off camera flash, you won't regret it, even if you have to hold the flash in your left hand!

Ijust picked THIS up for my dad... cheap and effective... but honestly, if you want to light things up PROPERLY using that D700... go completely off camera flash, you won't regret it, even if you have to hold the flash in your left hand!

Jerry, ive experimented very lightly with this sort of technique with favourable results. But, it seems very uncomfortable/awkward, especially with my heavier lens. i cant see this being very comfortable with say a 24-70mm. Or have i just not gained enough experience with this technique?

But, it seems very uncomfortable/awkward, especially with my heavier lens. i cant see this being very comfortable with say a 24-70mm. Or have i just not gained enough experience with this technique?

Nah, you just need to spend a little more time in the gym (lol).

I use this technique on a D700 with grip, Nikkor 24-70 and a wireless solution using gadget infinity triggers and receivers. Now, granted I don't do 200 pictures in a row (my setup *is* too heavy to control with one hand over several hours time), but the results are a lot better than that forward pointing flash on the camera hotshoe. If I wanted to lower the weight, I could use a smaller lens and leave the battery grip off, that would shave the weight significantly.

I fully agree with getting the flash off the camera any time you can. I am thinking of hiring an assistant just to hold my SB-800 a little farther than I could with my left arm when shooting weddings. But when I need to move quickly I use this: Flash Bracket for Digital Cameras by ALZO digital

Most reactions

New Topics

Back