What's new

Rough Ocean + Wind + New Filters = Difficult!

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
9,027
Reaction score
2,175
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I went to test out my new filters last night. There was a lot of wind, a "ehh" sunset, and A LOT of salt spray. I ended up with a million salt specks on my filters, and most of my images are too speckled to bother editing. Needless to say, I learned a little about using GND's, froze a bunch, and had an absolute blast. Here's one of the images... more to come!




Untitled by f_one_eight, on Flickr



And here's one of the speckled ones... It's not too visible anymore, but there were a MILLION spots to get rid of (see below).



Speckled by f_one_eight, on Flickr



So many spots..








Best,
Jake
 
Last edited:
I think the bottom half of the photo is superior to the top half. The clouds seem really muddy.

Glad you had fun experimenting!
 
I think the bottom half of the photo is superior to the top half. The clouds seem really muddy.

Glad you had fun experimenting!

I agree. It really wasn't the best setting. The sunset itself was pretty lackluster, there was immense wind, and a lot of spray. Most of my images have so many spots they really aren't even worth trying to edit. I guess it was more of a "learn how to use the GND's" type shot, rather than a proper sunset that I go for. Oh well, I'll just keep trying.

Best,
Jake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Added another photo. I'm not too happy with the results, but they are there for you to see.

Best,
Jake
 
Bumpski.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Here's an illustration of just how useful a set of GND's can be. I believe for this image I had a 0.6 and 0.9 filter stacked together. I realize it's full of speckles and salt nasty, haha.




Best,
Jake
 
don't let it bother you, a good portion of my photos are learn and work type photos. I photo stuff I don't even like for the sake.
I actually like your first, not exceptional but.
And you have me intrigued. I should get into this. I clearly see the benefits. But mostly, it looks like lots of fun.
 
don't let it bother you, a good portion of my photos are learn and work type photos. I photo stuff I don't even like for the sake.
I actually like your first, not exceptional but.
And you have me intrigued. I should get into this. I clearly see the benefits. But mostly, it looks like lots of fun.

I love it. I really hadn't started photographing sunsets like this until recently, but I've found it challenging and rewarding. I've slowly built my landscape tools, and am now just trying to learn and understand them as best I can. Be careful! It's expensive!

Best,
Jake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Is this with your Tokina 2.8 Jake? What brand of filter did you use? Honestly, I don't see the dots you're talking about but again I'm on my iPhone. The first one (pp?) looks good to me. I'm eyeballing a Tokina so hard right now, just gotta think of other things I have to spend $500+ on first :(

Looks good though bud, don't be so hard on yourself. A lot better than what I came up with today at least :-/
 
Is this with your Tokina 2.8 Jake? What brand of filter did you use? Honestly, I don't see the dots you're talking about but again I'm on my iPhone. The first one (pp?) looks good to me. I'm eyeballing a Tokina so hard right now, just gotta think of other things I have to spend $500+ on first :(

Looks good though bud, don't be so hard on yourself. A lot better than what I came up with today at least :-/

Yes, it's with the Tokina 11-16 2.8--I love that lens! Such a solid performer. I just picked up a set of Lee Resin Filters: (0.3, 0.6, & 0.9) soft graduated neutral density, as well as a wide-angle adapter and filter holder. Definitely worth the investment.

Best,
Jake
 
Is this with your Tokina 2.8 Jake? What brand of filter did you use? Honestly, I don't see the dots you're talking about but again I'm on my iPhone. The first one (pp?) looks good to me. I'm eyeballing a Tokina so hard right now, just gotta think of other things I have to spend $500+ on first :(

Looks good though bud, don't be so hard on yourself. A lot better than what I came up with today at least :-/

Oh, the circles are where I cloned out the spots. So most of them are gone.

Jake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom