Softball photos

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Back at it with the softball season. Let's face it though, there's only so many side view pitching motions and batting shots that you can take before you fall asleep from boredom when reviewing them. I decided to go for a different point of view than my usual first base spot. As suggested to me previously (@ronlane maybe?), I tried shooting through the fence. It was hit or miss with blurring out the backstop with my auto focus and hand holding skills. I think the fence outline worked a bit on a few of these? Lots of room for improvement. These were all shot with the XT2 and 50-230 lens. F/5.6 - 7.1, 1/500, Auto ISO (1200-2000 range). Edited for cropping only for the most part. One issue I had was that at full zoom right against the backstop it would disappear but that was too close to get good photos so had to zoom out to 70-100mm or back up - both of which made the backstop visible again. I may try the 18-55 and cropping next game. Tips for improvement always welcome!

Untitled by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Very nice action set, my pic is 3 and 4 great shots.

Nice job #1 and 6 for me. Yeah, I typically only shoot through the fence at 200mm (or higher if I have it) because the zoom is tight enough that you can loose the fence out of the frame.

Very nice action set, my pic is 3 and 4 great shots.

Thanks, Dave!

Nice job #1 and 6 for me. Yeah, I typically only shoot through the fence at 200mm (or higher if I have it) because the zoom is tight enough that you can loose the fence out of the frame.

Thanks Ron! #6 was a foul tip that bounced off of the catchers helmet and then hit the ump's face guard. When you are at 200mm, are you right at the fence? What are you shooting? The pitcher and infielders? I'd like to be able to blur out the fence and get some of the plays at the plate but if I zoom out the fence appears and if I zoom in, the plays is too close up to see what is going on...

I like #4 and #6 the most.

Thanks Derrel! #4 is my baby. That's her in #5 as well. I have a couple of other shots of her that I think are good (playing 2b) but she doesn't like the face she makes when making a play so I agreed not to share them anywhere, including here. I used to think sharing just on TPF was more private but then at my softball shoot this year at UNE, one of the girls googled "softball poses" and her own picture popped up! It was from a thread I had posted here the year before. Of course they all then read the whole thread. Fortunately it was mostly positive comments and reviews. I would have been horrified if I had said something critical about the experience in my post or if anyone had made any unflattering comments about the girls in the photos! Lesson learned.

When I am shooting behind the back stop I am shooting just the pitcher and the infielders (less the catcher. to get the catcher, I go to the end of the dugout where I can zoom with the 200mm and not have a fence. (I maybe a little luckier that I can shoot from the edge of the dugout in most cases.

I like #3 how the fence frames the shot. #6 is cool

#3, nice framing and with a runner on 3rd.

I try to get next to a support pole, and hold the hood about an inch from the fence.
If a foul ball hits the fence, the fence will get whacked back towards you.
If you have the hood on the fence, either the camera gets knocked into your face and/or the zoom mechanism gets damaged.​
Being right next to the pole reduces the amount that the fence will flex, because the pole prevents the fence from flexing back.

Try going right behind home plate, and line up the pitcher and catcher, so you get the ball heading right towards you.
Depending on the backstop and what they have behind the backstop, may limit/restrict you from shooting there.
My field has a wood backstop up to my eye level, so I have to use a stool to shoot over the wood backstop and through the fence.
I also go to right field, and shoot down the right foul line, lining up 1st base and the right handed batter.

The players look nice and sharp, and timing seems to catch a good moment of play.

Keep an eye on the backgrounds; with people/cars so close to the fence/playing field they end up being part of the composition. A step or so might make it so you could frame to keep a tail light to the left out of the frame (#2) or so it could be cropped (the car being dark isn't so noticeable). A slight difference in vantage point could keep a fence post from being in front of someone. If they'e farther back it won't be so noticeable, but I learned to keep that in mind framing shots when I used to do photos for marketing for a local team and needed good crowd shots (butts in seats for the sponsors! lol).

In the vertical shots I'd try to frame lower. The catcher is barely in the frame and there's more than enough sky/tree tops that aren't part of the action/game; #3 could be cropped down to maybe slightly above the roof of the house. I think it might be better to get a larger depth of field if you want the runner to be part of the scene/the action getting ready to head in to home plate. Usually in sports what I learned was to shoot tight and go for a 'clean' composition.

There's interesting use of the fence. Maybe also figure out what lens would work best to get up close to the fence to focus past it to get some shots without the fence showing.

I found when starting with hockey I looked up well known hockey photographers to study where they were shooting from, how they framed shots, etc. I don't follow Sports Photography and Photojournalism for Professional Photographers| SportsShooter.com too much anymore but there are pros whose work you might take a look and maybe get some ideas. Bert Hanashiro is one of the pros who started the site and shoots a variety of sports for USA Today. Some baseball photographers are Rod Mar and Brad Mangin; others that I think shoot baseball as well as sports are Walter Iooss, Neil Leifer, Bob Deutsch, Donald Miralle, Jack Gruber, and Wally Skalij.

As already mentioned, get up nice and tight to the fence but with just a little space in case there is a foul ball. And use a single point focus to lessen the chance of the focus point landing on the fence itself. I really like #3, I don't think the fence distracts from it at all. I love the thought behind it, the running staring down the line waiting to get home. Sometimes I'll get into a little rut after going to too many games and I'll stay in my favorite spot for too long. I see it when I get home and start editing so the next game I will shoot from everywhere except that spot to get a new perspective. And just one more thing, it's not all about the game, it's about the kids being outside and having fun, so a picture with nothing but a smile can really help convey the emotion of the game. Feel free to go through my shots if you like, I get some of my best ideas by looking through the eyes of others ;)

2019 AHS Softball - C6Bill

The color renditions are really good! Very vibrant but not over saturated. The action shots are good and sharp for an overcast lighting. Good job.

As already mentioned, get up nice and tight to the fence but with just a little space in case there is a foul ball. And use a single point focus to lessen the chance of the focus point landing on the fence itself. I really like #3, I don't think the fence distracts from it at all. I love the thought behind it, the running staring down the line waiting to get home. Sometimes I'll get into a little rut after going to too many games and I'll stay in my favorite spot for too long. I see it when I get home and start editing so the next game I will shoot from everywhere except that spot to get a new perspective. And just one more thing, it's not all about the game, it's about the kids being outside and having fun, so a picture with nothing but a smile can really help convey the emotion of the game. Feel free to go through my shots if you like, I get some of my best ideas by looking through the eyes of others ;)

2019 AHS Softball - C6Bill

Great photos Bill! Thanks for the tips. Coincidentally I took some photos today for our rec league Facebook and Insta pages. I think I did a bit better shooting through the fence this time.

The color renditions are really good! Very vibrant but not over saturated. The action shots are good and sharp for an overcast lighting. Good job.

Thanks I appreciate your comments

Most reactions

Back