Round and Round

deeky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So here's the story - Was with a group taking an evening tour of a seminary. We were pushing light already and then found out they decided to hold off climbing the bell tower until after the recruiter gave his 20 minute sermon to a bunch of exhausted 8th graders. It about 8:00 when he finished. We finally made it up to the bell tower with the carillon and found myself packed in with 24 other people and fading light. Fortunately the tour guide asked me to bring up the rear, but they were waiting for me to come down to lock up the tower and continue the tour. So, as the small room cleared, I quickly snapped this one and then had to go. Would have liked more time, but since they were paying me to be on their schedule, I couldn't really ask for more.

Here it is. Curious for your thoughts on post/polishing the image.

IMG_2947a by breckmiller, on Flickr

I think you have a nice combination of textures and forms, here, well handled. There seems to be a feeling of a slight tilt to the left, to me, which I am not sure I like. One might complain about the deep shadows under each step, but those I am sure I do like.

I like the shapes and tones in this. I agree with Andrew about the tilt. Straightening it would have the added benefit of forcing a tighter crop around the stairs.

I had played with a little rotation and avoided it for two reasons:
1. I had to clip the underside of the tread on the left.
2. While the center post is straighter, it threw off the railing post (perspective issue).

Maybe these aren't such big issues.

Here is a rotated version. Thoughts?

IMG_2947a1 by breckmiller, on Flickr

This may be just me, but I'd crop it more - almost up to the railing on both sides. You still retain the shape of the staircase and have less background wood, which really doesn't add anything. Since the stairs are cropped on the right of necessity, it doesn't seem bothersome to crop them on the left as well (at least not to me).

Ken - I see what you mean. A little off the sides, a little more off the top, and it totally put the focus on the railing shape. Much better. Thanks.

IMG_2947a2a by breckmiller, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back