What's new

Rugged 7D -- Survived Antarctica

Forget the 7D surviving Antarctica. Cameras have been doing that for years (just search luminous landscape for a massive expedition report).

What is really awesome is that focusing mechanism! Check out that geared focusing on the tripod!!!! Anyone know who makes stuff like that?
 
Forget the 7D surviving Antarctica. Cameras have been doing that for years (just search luminous landscape for a massive expedition report).

What is really awesome is that focusing mechanism! Check out that geared focusing on the tripod!!!! Anyone know who makes stuff like that?

The tripod he is using appears to have 3 bars on each leg - something that I have seen only on video gear - which also tend to have far better geard and smooth moving heads than stills cameras (Since they do have to pan and tilt with perfect smoothness). So I suspect its a duel setup for both video and DSLR - being used with the 7D because its got video :)
 
I've heard several stories of xxD cameras and 5D Mk II failing on Antarctic trips. I would hate to spend all that money to get there only to have my camera fail!
 
When I went to Antarctica several years ago, several cameras (of other passengers) failed. They were film cameras mainly, as digital wasn't as prevalent then. It seemed to be that the ones that failed were the ones where cold air got inside as they changed lenses. I had just one lens (28-300) so I wasn't changing lenses and my camera worked fine. I'm not sure if the same reasoning would apply to digital cameras, but I don't see why not. And since one goes to Antarctica during their 'summer', the weather is no worse than what many in North America experience during a typical winter.
 
I've heard several stories of xxD cameras and 5D Mk II failing on Antarctic trips. I would hate to spend all that money to get there only to have my camera fail!
I think you heard of a story that was widely circulated on the internet from Feb of 2009. :D

There were 77 photographers. Of them, 54 were shooting Canon and about 21 were shooting Nikon. Most of the 5D2's (26 total) that had problems (6 total, 3 of which were serious and the cameras stopped working) had the battery grips installed. It was reported that water was gathering between the grips and bodies. It's pretty common knowledge that the 5D2 isn't weather sealed all that well, and when you have the battery grip in place you open up the camera to the ingress of moisture. So I would say it was user error that caused the problems.

There was one Sony Alpha and a Hasselblad (which also had a failure) as well.
 
Last edited:
Heehee, did you notice the image where the seal is biting the tripod leg (here)?

I loved that. He was doing that because he was trying to swear off penguins and using a 12 step program.
 
I've heard several stories of xxD cameras and 5D Mk II failing on Antarctic trips. I would hate to spend all that money to get there only to have my camera fail!
I think you heard of a story that was widely circulated on the internet from Feb of 2009. :D

There were 77 photographers. Of them, 54 were shooting Canon and about 21 were shooting Nikon. Most of the 5D2's (26 total) that had problems (6 total, 3 of which were serious and the cameras stopped working) had the battery grips installed. It was reported that water was gathering between the grips and bodies. It's pretty common knowledge that the 5D2 isn't weather sealed all that well, and when you have the battery grip in place you open up the camera to the ingress of moisture. So I would say it was user error that caused the problems.

There was one Sony Alpha and a Hasselblad (which also had a failure) as well.


Antarctica 2009 - What Worked
 
yeah, the whether in Antartica isn't that bad in in the summer, I mean, it actually rain sometimes instead of snow. It probably isn't much harsher than the winter in the Northeast. But being out in such enviroment for that long of a time take tolls on the camera though.

Intempus, it was user error to bring the 5D Mark II to Antartica. Along with the Sony. :) haha
 
I've heard several stories of xxD cameras and 5D Mk II failing on Antarctic trips. I would hate to spend all that money to get there only to have my camera fail!
I think you heard of a story that was widely circulated on the internet from Feb of 2009. :D

There were 77 photographers. Of them, 54 were shooting Canon and about 21 were shooting Nikon. Most of the 5D2's (26 total) that had problems (6 total, 3 of which were serious and the cameras stopped working) had the battery grips installed. It was reported that water was gathering between the grips and bodies. It's pretty common knowledge that the 5D2 isn't weather sealed all that well, and when you have the battery grip in place you open up the camera to the ingress of moisture. So I would say it was user error that caused the problems.

There was one Sony Alpha and a Hasselblad (which also had a failure) as well.


Antarctica 2009 - What Worked
Yup, that's the one story I was talking about. Are there others? You said you've heard of several.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom