Rule of Third

Lee_Maryland

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I am making a SLR camera purchase soon. I was toying around on a canon 60D and 7D, when I read the review and I believe you are able to bring up the grid lines. But somehow the neither the salesman nor myself can figure it out, anyone know?

Page 47 of the 7D manual.
Under the [Wrench 2] tab, select VF grid display then press set. Turn the wheel to select [Enable], then press set.

Have that memorized Mike.....lol :sexywink:

wow Mike...

Is that for live view or viewfinder?

Only in Live view. 'Menu 4' (the red one with 4 dots on the right) -> grid display -> grid 1 -> set.

Now hit the start stop button... the grid should be on the LCD.

Have that memorized Mike.....lol
Took me 5 seconds to Google '7D user manual' and then another 10 seconds to search the PDF for 'grid'.

From page 47...
The grid and electronic level can be displayed to help keep the camera aimed straight. The grid is displayed in the viewfinder, and the electronic level is displayed on the LCD monitor

Oh, I thought we were talking the 3x3 grid... the VF grid is a 4x4. I don't know how to get a 3x3 in the VF.

I am still new at photography, and consistently relying on the rule of third for my pics. If I would to use that rule with viewfinder, how would I approach this?

For live view, it gives you a grid. Put your subject where the lines cross.

For viewfinder, just eyeball it, then put the grid on in photoshop. Either crop accordingly, or learn how to eyeball it with constant practice.

Firstly, don't 'rely' on something like the rule of thirds. It's more of a loose guideline...and rules were meant to be broken anyway.
And with only a few minutes practice, you should be able to estimate what is 1\3 from any of the four sides of the frame. And once you figure out where those imaginary lines would be...they will always been in the same location, relative to the sides of the frame.

And while they may not line up with the viewfinder grid from page 47...they may line up with certain AF points in the viewfinder...so you can use those as a guide.

I can't say I've ever used the grid, though my largest and most repetitive critique at the competition I entered a few of my photos in was rule of thirds. I've been doing my very best to pay attention to it since then. =)

I heard about a study project where a student took 100 of the 'best' images she could find, and overlaid the 3rds grid. Something like 80-90% of them did closely adhere to the 'Rule of Thirds'....is I'd say it's a successful method to use. However, when I hear "largest and most repetitive critique at the competition I entered a few of my photos in was rule of thirds"...I tend to think that the Judges were either lazy or incompetent. Just saying "you should have used the rule of thirds", isn't much of a critique in my opinion...but it's easy to say and makes you sound smart. :roll:

Of course, one of the worst enemies of good/creative composition, is the habit of keeping your subject in the centre of the photo. I'll admit that I sometimes fall into this habit and forget to recompose my shots after focusing using the middle AF point. So when giving a critique, and the subjects are mostly centered....the most basic suggestion is to use the rule of thirds.

Another tip I read (aimed at point & shooters) is to take a piece of sticky pad and cut out a small square, then stick that in the middle of your LCD screen. Then compose your shots so that you can see your subject (around the edges of the sticker).

live view sucks, so learn to eyeball it in the view finder.

FWIW, Lightroom can be configure to show some different compositional guidelines beyond the ROT.

Most reactions

Back