Rule of Thirds

Here's mine with a graph illustration... notice that while the head of the subject (Mr. George Hincapie, Tour Of Missouri winner 2007) is not on the 'lines' they track all of the other elements and lead the viewer's eyes into the top of the frame.

george3.jpg

Unreal Tuner... what is wrong with using your eyes and approximating? This is not an exacting science (like tuning a car would be, something I am heavy into as well), but an art or self-expression.

Focus on the object (press shutter half way down), then recompose it into one of the corners, and press the shutter down the rest of the way.

It's that easy.

Now, having said that, on the Nikon D200s, you can activate those lines, and I do have them turned on... however, I do NOT use them for making or breaking the rule of thirds... but for adjusting my horizon. I have a tendancy of being 2-3 degrees downwards on the right. This helps keep my horizons level.

I can activate those lines on my D80. It's really great if I'm interested in the "Rule of Quarters!" Like you, I use them to keep the horizon level and telephone poles vertical.

Most reactions

Back