Rules of Photography in the city...

DapperAperture

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I am just getting into photography seriously and I am planning a trip to Seattle. I'm finding out that there are particular rules about what you can and can't take pictures of and if you need a permit or permission to photograph certain things. I'm trying to find out what rules Seattle has. I did find out online from another photographer that in New York City you need a permit if you use a tripod. I've searched the City of Seattle website and I haven't found what their rules are. Now, if what I'm searching for is considered law and you can get in trouble for not obeying the rules, shouldn't the rules be accessible so I know not to break them?

So I guess my question is where can I go to find out these rules? I will not pay for a book to tell me the rules because it's ridiculous. Even in the town I live in I am unable to find the rules of photography.

Thank you for your help!
Dapper Aperture

I think each property has its own rules. Check with management. Before you start taking pictures.

**** the rules just shoot till you get stopped, as far as i'm concerned there are no rules if you are on public land, some shots you cannot use for commercial gain

The easiest way is to search the city's website; any "big" rules should be listed there. In general as long as you are on public land you shouldn't be a problem. I've shot all over Seattle, including through the public market and never had an issue. Typically the only real concern cities have is about blocking traffic, etc, so you might run into problems if you have tripods and such set up on the sidewalk and are impeding pedestrians, but for the most part, it should be fine.

Anything visible from public property is fair game.
The exteriors of buildings are fair game.
People out in public are fair game.

Most cities won't have any restrictions against using a tripod, but common sense says don't use a tripod in a area that has a lot of foot traffic.
Also a monopod may suffice.

Seattle Film Office: Filming in Seattle: Film Permit Applications

Most cities won't have any restrictions against using a tripod...

I think this is true, except I know you can't use a tripod in Times Square without a valid permit issued by the city.

I've never heard of any rules against it, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. As far as tripods go, I'm not aware of needing a permit for them, at least I never had one when I've used one and never had any problems. There's always folks with tripods set up at Kerry Park, shooting the Space Needle and Downtown Seattle at sunset. For the most part I don't use a tripod when walking around the city. As long as you aren't being rude or really blocking sidewalks and streets you should be fine. Most people should be fairly polite. We're a pretty artsy population so it's very common to see photographers. If, for whatever reason, someone asks you to put the tripod away, just be polite about it. You're allowed to ask why you need to put it away, just don't be argumentative. In my travel experience, most people will turn a blind eye for a few minutes and let you get your shot, as long as you're polite and quick about it. The obvious exception is in museums when theres explicit photography bans.

To be honest I think the greater question here is "do you have some sort of rain protection for your camera?" :D

I'm out of town at school at the moment but I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. Shoot me a PM or post it up here and I'll do my best to help if I can.

The easiest way is to search the city's website; any "big" rules should be listed there......

Legally, publication (or lack of) on a city's (proper term: political subdivision) web site does not equate to proper notification.

The easiest way is to search the city's website; any "big" rules should be listed there......

Legally, publication (or lack of) on a city's (proper term: political subdivision) web site does not equate to proper notification.

This is where good tennis shoes and some excellent sprinting can come in handy.

Not including people who are making an attempt to hide themselves, however, or people who are difficult to see from public, and would not expect to be watched. Examples would be people in their bedrooms through the windows (unless they're like, standing at the window), or somebody huddling over a prescription bottle.

Cities and states generally don't have many or any special rules about photography, because the freedoms to photograph things mostly derive from the 1st amendment to the US constitution, and therefore states largely cannot override them, due to the 14th amendment (states can't make laws that abridge constitutionally granted rights).

There usually are rules about tripods and things in the name of not getting in the way of other citizens. But no town or state is likely to get away with just saying "you can't photograph anything in this outdoor public place" etc.

The exteriors of buildings are fair game.

This is only mostly true...

If you are taking pictures near, or of buildings or areas of "national interest" such as power stations, major refineries, steel mills, etc. can often draw the attention of some authorities, namely Homeland Security. It's happened around Detroit with people taking pictures of Zug Island (major steel mill there) and some of the power plants. It's not really illegal to do so, but photographers have been harassed by government officials for doing so, and in some cases memory cards were erased or destroyed (not legally, but it still happened).

Just sayin'. You have a right to take pictures in public areas. But some areas will draw attention from certain agencies that will exert their power in a less then legal way. Be prepared for it if you plan on shooting near any such areas, especially if you wish to keep the pictures.

Most reactions

Back