Running with lenses? How bad is it?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
At the races, I shoot with my 70-200 and have my 17-85 (or whatever wide lens I own at the time) in a pocket for quick access during Victory Lane shots.

2 facts:
-I need the extra lens, so I've gotta carry it somehow
-Often, a time arises (bad wreck) where I need to run closer.

My dilemma:
-Running with the lens in my cargo pocket makes the lens swing, and it seems like that would negatively affect the lens, so I don't do it. Other than that cargo pocket, I don't know of any better way to hold that lens that'll keep it from bouncing around when I run.

The questions:
A) How 'shock-proof' are lenses, and would you trust a lens flying back and forth in your pocket hitting your leg?
B) Is there a bag to put on me somewhere to hold the lens more secure? (if someone tells me to get a fanny pack i'll kick a puppy)

What would you guys do?

Or get a second body and mount the other lens to that... but then you've got a swinging lens and camera around your neck.

My 70-200 f/2.8 L IS came with a bag that has belt-loop. I would put that on my belt, and then put whatever lens I'm not using in that.

just make sure the lens is padded. If you dont want a belt case, just pad your cargo pocket with say, bubble wrap?

Running with lenses is not that bad for them. Falling and smooshing them is.

I would be more worried about impact damage when you fall, because running in a congested area means that sooner or later, you WILL fall.

Hmmm I've run, skied, cycled, hiked, and rock climbed with mine and it seems to work. I am lead to believe that they are reasonably shock proof. Of course quality allowing. I'm sure an L series lens would take more of a hammering then the cheap canon 50mm with it's all plastic body and mount.

You could also get one of those funny looking photographer coat thingies with the 50 pockets to fit various things.

Most reactions

Back