Rushed for sisters dance....

SpikeyJohnson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So when I got home tonight I was asked to shoot my step sisters photos for her last dance of the year. I was up to the shoot, and then I noticed her dad had his camera too. I was fine with this and figured hey, he'll get a few while I'm resetting or something. As we started taking photo's my poor sister didn't know where to look and her date was about the same. I had reflectors and flashes with me but the thing was all the preparation in the world won't make a difference if someone is talking, directing, changing things... It turned out that I only got like 5-10 good shots to even work with and I'm guessing most of his shots were the better set because he kept overriding things I was saying or they would look his way when I was taking photos.

After about 10 minutes his girlfriend started talking to my step mom, who I had set up with the reflector.... All I can say is that extra light wasn't where I wanted it.

I'm a bit annoyed right now. I called my step mom and told her we need to do them again when my step sisters father isn't around and I can get them to focus and keep the direction I'm giving.

why didn't you just talk to him and decide who was shooting. sounds like a little family strife here.

why didn't you just talk to him and decide who was shooting. sounds like a little family strife here.
I have to agree; there needed to be an agreement as to who was primary and who was secondary, and treat it just like a wedding.

I was asked to take the photo's a few days ago by my sister. With this guy, believe me, he doesn't listen much to what others have to say. I guess I should reword the story to say I was asked to a few days ago rather than when I got home. Half my step mom's issues with him are because of this. He will take over the softball teams and basketball teams and try to coach the coaches. I told her we would retake a few when he wasn't around when I could get them to focus on me.

K in short, I was asked to shoot these before today. He just showed up to see her and her date off, and brought his camera. If you put this guy in a room with a Professional Photographer, he would try to teach the Pro how to use the camera. Hell if you put him in the same room as a pro in any subject, if he knew a little about the subject, he would try to teach the pro. I'm not saying I'm a pro but I haven't gone to school and practiced for no reason. It was just obnoxious, and if he wasn't my sisters father I would have told him to bugger off.

K in short, I was asked to shoot these before today. He just showed up to see her and her date off, and brought his camera. If you put this guy in a room with a Professional Photographer, he would try to teach the Pro how to use the camera. Hell if you put him in the same room as a pro in any subject, if he knew a little about the subject, he would try to teach the pro. I'm not saying I'm a pro but I haven't gone to school and practiced for no reason. It was just obnoxious, and if he wasn't my sisters father I would have told him to bugger off.

this is her real father right? Okay, most of this stuff doesn't really matter except your photo shoot. This is your step moms issues and incompatibility is a pretty common reason for divorce. Nothing to do with your images. It is also pretty common for a child to take sides and be swayed a direction with parental influence. so, with all due respect not knowing the situation im pretty much taking what you are saying with a grain of salt as you aren't impartial.

Now, if this is her father, that does have to do with your images.
sorry bud, pretty much end of story right there and I get the feeling of how this went down from what you wrote. Her father has precedence over a step brother. You and your camera are back seat unless discussed otherwise or your sister acts so.

you would have been in the secondary spot.

Really doesn't matter what he is, or isn't. It's her father unless she puts another space in that relationship and that is solely your sisters call not yours.
Only one that can intercede at all is really your sister. That is her call, its her father.
My suggestion, might be to discuss it with your sister. At this point, given your sister appears older, it really doesn't even have much to do with your stepmother your sister and her fathers relationship is pretty much whatever they have.

sorry.
what I conclude from this episode of jerry springer (just kiddn ya)

this is her real father right? Okay, most of this stuff doesn't really matter except your photo shoot. This is your step moms issues and incompatibility is a pretty common reason for divorce. Nothing to do with your images. It is also pretty common for a child to take sides and be swayed a direction with parental influence. so, with all due respect not knowing the situation im pretty much taking what you are saying with a grain of salt as you aren't impartial.

sorry bud, pretty much end of story right there and I get the feeling of how this went down from what you wrote. Her father has precedence over a step brother. You and your camera are back seat unless discussed otherwise or your sister acts so.

Really doesn't matter what he is, or isn't. It's her father unless she puts another space in that relationship and that is solely your sisters call not yours.
Only one that can intercede at all is really your sister. That is her call, its her father.
My suggestion, might be to discuss it with your sister. At this point, given your sister appears older, it really doesn't even have much to do with your stepmother your sister and her fathers relationship is pretty much whatever they have.

sorry.

I can agree with much of this. I was definitely the one asked by her to take the photo's but I think when he showed up, that changed. So I'll be talking with her about it. If she want's some photo's from me, it will have to be a different shoot where her father isn't involved to take over. I guess we'll have to see the photo's he came up with. I just hope she'll understand that I didn't get much with him redirecting her.

sorry.

I can agree with much of this. I was definitely the one asked by her to take the photo's but I think when he showed up, that changed. So I'll be talking with her about it. If she want's some photo's from me, it will have to be a different shoot where her father isn't involved to take over. I guess we'll have to see the photo's he came up with. I just hope she'll understand that I didn't get much with him redirecting her.
There ya go. you could also suggest to her, to suggest to him, ;) how good you are becoming at this and he may be swayed by his daughter into easing up. ;)
He may even encourage such things if you are taking better photos (and he gets some of them). Who knows, with your sisters help you could even start to talk peaceably. :lmao:
I wouldn't go stepping in the middle of a daughter father relationship Really, it is a no win there for you.

Far as what you have for images, and her understanding. well I don't know your sister. I would assume she will be understanding of the problems with the shoot especially with your explanation, but she could slap you too. :lol:
its your sister.
'what I WOULDNT DO is talk like you have been on here to her. Understand its her father, and talking this way (whether it is true or not is besides the point) might drive a wedge between you and your sister if she becomes defensive. You are also putting her in a position of picking sides. Don't do that to your sister it isn't fair to her. Keep your head clear and check your tongue so as not to upset her and cause more grief. You don't have to pretend to like the guy, but I wouldn't be downing him to much in front of her either that just CANT be mentally healthy and sure wont solve your shoot problems. Think of your sisters happiness and peace.

Did you get paid?

If so, maybe offer to reshoot.

If not, well, I'd tell her to enjoy the 5-10 photos you ended up with. Honestly, if she asked you to take the photos, and Pops was muckin' up the works, it was her place, and not yours, to say something to her father...

Most reactions

Back