Rutting Elk in the Smokies..

TBar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The bugling was sure excting !

ruttingelk.jpg

Have to say that "exciting" isn't so much the feeling I get from this shot; pretty yes, but the moment between the stags is more serine rather than energetic or powered. I think don't know if its the angle of if its just that the moment between the two passed before or after the shot was taken. I've had this before myself when a scene before you has the energy, but that the camera fails to capture that exact spark moment to transfer that into a picture.

It's a nice scene to catch while out on a trip. Being out just listening to the bulls screaming in late September or early October is a treat, catching some young guys like this just adds to that treat.

From the looks of the size of the bulls and their posture this looks like a little bit of rough housing setting the pecking order between the youngsters and not the agresvie full on rutting action of mature dominant bulls. As an elk nut though, any picture of a bull elk is a good picture.

And here I was thinking they were cuddling or something. You can tell i'm from Florida - no such wildlife here. :p

Have to say that "exciting" isn't so much the feeling I get from this shot; pretty yes, but the moment between the stags is more serine rather than energetic or powered. I think don't know if its the angle of if its just that the moment between the two passed before or after the shot was taken. I've had this before myself when a scene before you has the energy, but that the camera fails to capture that exact spark moment to transfer that into a picture.

The excitement was in hearing the bugling and witnessing the whole scene.

Oh indeed, I'm certainly not disputing that :)

Very nice scene indeed :) However, I'm not a big fan of processing in here - I'd add more contrast and probably crop it tighter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back