RVA Fashion Show

Good mix of shots. Some talls, some wides, different backgrounds, etc..

that thing renders really well...

Good mix of shots. Some talls, some wides, different backgrounds, etc..

Thanks! It was my first time shooting a fashion show (I've always wanted to), so I'm glad it turned out so well!

that thing renders really well...

Dude, right? I've never been more in love with a lens. And I haven't been this excited for a lens since my very first lens purchase (aside from the kit lens), which was the Nikkor 50 f/1.8G.

Primes are the way to go!

At events keep backgrounds in mind, and think about vantage points. I learned to go early and figure out some good places to stand, then recheck once attendees are arriving and being seated (empty seats will obviously have people and heads in them by the time the event starts).

Some of these might have been better from a slightly different perspective/angle/vantage point since the models look good but the backgrounds don't always add to the composition. Even with a larger aperture to keep the people etc. in the background somewhat out of focus there's still a lot of pattern and color etc. in view behind/around the models (in some photos more than others). That all ends up being part of the composition.

The difference with this compared to stage performances that you do so well is that there aren't usually people in the background on stage except other performers. The set is obviously part of the composition. With this type shooting some of the people, chairs, etc. in the background need to be taken into consideration and would be better out of the frame and not in the picture.

At events keep backgrounds in mind, and think about vantage points. I learned to go early and figure out some good places to stand, then recheck once attendees are arriving and being seated (empty seats will obviously have people and heads in them by the time the event starts).

Some of these might have been better from a slightly different perspective/angle/vantage point since the models look good but the backgrounds don't always add to the composition. Even with a larger aperture to keep the people etc. in the background somewhat out of focus there's still a lot of pattern and color etc. in view behind/around the models (in some photos more than others). That all ends up being part of the composition.

The difference with this compared to stage performances that you do so well is that there aren't usually people in the background on stage except other performers. The set is obviously part of the composition. With this type shooting some of the people, chairs, etc. in the background need to be taken into consideration and would be better out of the frame and not in the picture.

Thanks for the feedback, but I don't think it's fair to criticize me here. You weren't there, and you don't know the situation. That's why I didn't ask for CC. It's event photography, and my control was limited.

I was a guest photographer. The main photographers had dibs on all the good shooting spots. I did the best with what I had, and I think it turned out pretty well.

That said, I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts, and it's a good reminder to always do my best!

That 4th model is super gorgeous! That lens is working it's tail off.

Right? She totally killed it.

I wanted to follow up with you in regards to my response to your feedback. There is always more you can do. And I thank you for pushing me to do that.

I was feeling curious, so I checked out your profile, hoping to see some of your work. But I couldn't find any. I don't know if you're like an established enigma or something, but I couldn't find a single thread from you in regards to your own work. The few that there are have had the images redacted.

The critique you give others is GREAT, but often unreserved, and while helpful, the manner in which it's delivered sometimes takes away from your message. I hope my critique of your critique doesn't come across as critical, because I truly believe your advice and insight comes from a good place, and that you are very knowledgeable. But I've seen some people, including myself, sometimes disregard your critique, or feel turned off from it, simply because of how it was delivered, and I think that's such a waste of good insight. That said, I also think that each person is in charge of the way they react to things, and I believe I can do a better job of reacting to your feedback. But, it goes both ways.

Reason I brought up your own work is because I think seeing it would help me to relate to you, and understand your background and experience, which I think, in addition to a more delicate approach, would help me to better appreciate your feedback. I'm sure you have your reasons for not sharing, which I can respect, but if, after hearing my suggestions, you are inclined to share, I'd love to see, and perhaps offer my own feedback, so that we both may grow.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

:bouncingsmileys:

I though the fashion show coverage was handled in a reportage style, with the spectators shown more than if say, you had shot from a tripod-position and a 300mm lens set to f/4, and a ceiling-mounted 800 Watt-sec/strobe set to 1/8 power or 1/16 power, to fill the frame with mostly JUST the model, and to really throw to backgrounds into a wash of not much more than color, or blackness, thru light fall-off and a weak, but quick 'wink' of flash...fashion show fashion-style...

Like I said, 'reportage' versus fashion show fashion-style...

...That's why I didn't ask for CC. It's event photography, and my control was limited.
Just to be clear: A request for C&C is implicit in one's posting in a gallery forum. With the exception of "Just for Fun" ALL galleries are intended for C&C; if one doesn't with critique on their images, they should be posted in "Just for Fun".

...That's why I didn't ask for CC. It's event photography, and my control was limited.
Just to be clear: A request for C&C is implicit in one's posting in a gallery forum. With the exception of "Just for Fun" ALL galleries are intended for C&C; if one doesn't with critique on their images, they should be posted in "Just for Fun".

Okay, I didn't actually know that, so that's my bad. I thought we wanted people to request it.

Duly noted. That said, I stand by the rest of my statement.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back