Safe to use old Speedotron D402?

Jim Tellier

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got a vintage '85 Speedotron D402 pack with a couple of 5" reflector heads (sorry, don't recall model#s) that I used up thru 1990 for portraiture. The pack hasn't been powered on since about 1991. Given that there are (presumably large) capacitors in this thing, is there any danger in trying to use it now? I've heard of people currently using Speedotrons from this era, but don't know if they've either been in continuous use, or perhaps refurbished. Does nyone have experience here?

The best practises for maintaining capacitors in packs that don’t see regular service is to plug them in and let them form for a couple of hours. Making sure that there is one head plugged into the highest power outlet and all settings are set to maximum output. If a pack has a slow recycle switch, turn it on and then turn on the pack, do not fire it for the duration until the time is up, at which point you can run it through the pop and fire sequence and change output settings.

if you are at all concerned about a capacitor shorting out, put it outside and let it run, fire extinguisher and power outlets to un plug it at the ready, lol.

These things should be regularly used.

For a unit that has sat unused for years, you will need to SAFELY condition/form the capacitors (cap).
I read "some place" that the safe way is to do it in steps of gradually increasing times.
Example 2sec, off, 5 sec, off, 10 sec, off, 20 sec, off, 40 sec, off, . . .​
I don't have the chart that the the guy did.
The idea is to GRADUALLY build up the charge in the caps, rather than try to push them to 100% in one go . . . and have the cap explode.
Once it reaches full charge, let it sit for a while. Without that article, I don't know what this sit time is.
Then use a remote trigger to fire the pack into a head and discharge the caps, then cycle it. Let it charge normally, sit for a bit, then fire.

To do this safely, you will need a remote power switch on the power line to the pack.
This is so that you can turn the power on/off, without being next to the pack, if the cap explodes.

These things should be regularly used.

For a unit that has sat unused for years, you will need to SAFELY condition/form the capacitors (cap).
I read "some place" that the safe way is to do it in steps of gradually increasing times.
Example 2sec, off, 5 sec, off, 10 sec, off, 20 sec, off, 40 sec, off, . . .​
I don't have the chart that the the guy did.
The idea is to GRADUALLY build up the charge in the caps, rather than try to push them to 100% in one go . . . and have the cap explode.
Once it reaches full charge, let it sit for a while. Without that article, I don't know what this sit time is.
Then use a remote trigger to fire the pack into a head and discharge the caps, then cycle it. Let it charge normally, sit for a bit, then fire.

To do this safely, you will need a remote power switch on the power line to the pack.
This is so that you can turn the power on/off, without being next to the pack, if the cap explodes.

Here's some text from an old thread from 2009 which supports my earlier statements. Keeping in mind this is referencing a Black Line 2401a which will auto discharge when turning it off whether a head is plugged in or not. For any flash or strobe regular reforming is a good idea and if it helps, I own Black line packs that are in excess of 30 years old and still functional because I reform them monthly.

"For what it is worth, I just got off the phone with a technician at Speedotron, asking about my 2401a (so this doesn't help Annie). Echoing what others have said here, he told me that to "reform" the capacitors I should plug it in and let it sit for two hours. He said it would be preferable to have a head plugged it, just so you can test after waiting, but it is not necessary."
Danger of using old strobes? [Archive] - Large Format Photography Forum

The Speedotron Brown Line packs discharge when you turn the power off so I would plug a head into one of the outlets.

I've got a vintage '85 Speedotron D402 pack with a couple of 5" reflector heads (sorry, don't recall model#s) that I used up thru 1990 for portraiture. The pack hasn't been powered on since about 1991. Given that there are (presumably large) capacitors in this thing, is there any danger in trying to use it now? I've heard of people currently using Speedotrons from this era, but don't know if they've either been in continuous use, or perhaps refurbished. Does nyone have experience here?

1991. That's 30 years! Ready for hazardous waste disposal. I knew a guy from back then who lost the middle finger on his right hand to one of those -- not joking.

Set it up in the backyard. Attach a lamp head and turn it on WITHOUT PLUGGING IT IN. Examine the pack all over for the presence of a UL approved safety logo. Think about that. OK, attach a 50 foot extension cord to the pack and take the other end back into the house. Make sure you have a clear view and that nothing living (neighbor, kids, dog, etc.) is within 40 yards of that thing. Make this face:
wince.jpg

And plug it in. Count to five and unplug it. Wait 3 minutes. Repeat many times. Think about the guy I knew who had his finger blown off by one of those. Keep making that face. Have you noticed how amazingly bright modern continuous LEDs are? Have you ever opened one of those up? That whole thing is a bank of huge capacitors. 30 years huh? Would your mother want you to try this? Those things weren't safe when they weren't 30 years old. I vote hazardous waste disposal.

Most reactions

Back