Sales tax in newyork

zamanakhan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am trying to place an order, or rather preorder still on a d800e. I live in Canada, but I order to buffalo to save some money as everything in Canada seems to be more expensive and we have 15% tax versus the lil higher than 8 in newyork. Usually I order with keh, and they don't charge me any sales tax even shipping to newyork, but they won't take my preorder there, bh adorama, amazon all charge tax to newyork, which is about $300 on a d800e, the price of a 50 1.8 g and a cf card or two!So I am winding if anyone can help me by informing me of a company that may not charge tax to newyork, or a company that has presence only out of newyork, I believe they don't have to charge tax if they don't have a presence in newyork.

Crap - I was going to say Amazon and then saw it in your post. Calumet maybe?

On top of that. Some states collect tax if the online retailers have affiliates in that state. (i.e. CA, IL) I remember a online deal site need to move their company from IL to WI a year of so ago so that their business can survive. Otherwise, affiliates status between them and companies like Amazon.com or Overstock.com will end. So now, it is hard to know if a company will collect sales tax for a particular state unless you contact them or add an item to the cart and see if it collect tax on a particular state.

On top of that. Some states collect tax if the online retailers have affiliates in that state. (i.e. CA, IL) I remember a online deal site need to move their company from IL to WI a year of so ago so that their business can survive. Otherwise, affiliates status between them and companies like Amazon.com or Overstock.com will end. So now, it is hard to know if a company will collect sales tax for a particular state unless you contact them or add an item to the cart and see if it collect tax on a particular state.
That's what I have been doing, I am trying to find something that light be local to another state and I no affiliated with newyork at all, also hoping they are trust worthy, this is why I ask on the forum.If anyone has a local retailer they trust, let me know.

How about Abe's of Maine? They're based out of New Jersey (oddly enough). The have the D800e available for pre-order.

I am trying to place an order, or rather preorder still on a d800e. I live in Canada, but I order to buffalo to save some money as everything in Canada seems to be more expensive and we have 15% tax versus the lil higher than 8 in newyork. Usually I order with keh, and they don't charge me any sales tax even shipping to newyork, but they won't take my preorder there, bh adorama, amazon all charge tax to newyork, which is about $300 on a d800e, the price of a 50 1.8 g and a cf card or two!So I am winding if anyone can help me by informing me of a company that may not charge tax to newyork, or a company that has presence only out of newyork, I believe they don't have to charge tax if they don't have a presence in newyork.

Try Ritz Camera.

Try Ritz Camera.
They at least used to have stores in NY. OP, how far are you from Michigan?Midwest Photo Exchange Home page
PERFECT!!! I am in st Catharine's Ontario, it's 20 mins from niagara falls and 20mins from the American border, although going over the border can take anywhere from 10min to 2hr depending on the traffic. My sister lives an other 30-45 mins away depending if I take highway or not. I have no idea how far Michigan would be from my area. Btw you just saved me $1758, th d800e is 4399 in canda plus 15% tax. It really blows when companies don't keep up with the exchange rates, the only company that does is apple. When I purchased my MacBook in Canada, apple made it so it would cost the same in the states even with the tax! The Canadian economy is hurting where I am but can you blame us for buying stuff over the border when it's soooooo much cheaper?!?!?!

Try Ritz Camera.
They at least used to have stores in NY. OP, how far are you from Michigan?Midwest Photo Exchange Home page
PERFECT!!! I am in st Catharine's Ontario, it's 20 mins from niagara falls and 20mins from the American border, although going over the border can take anywhere from 10min to 2hr depending on the traffic. My sister lives an other 30-45 mins away depending if I take highway or not. I have no idea how far Michigan would be from my area. Btw you just saved me $1758, th d800e is 4399 in canda plus 15% tax. It really blows when companies don't keep up with the exchange rates, the only company that does is apple. When I purchased my MacBook in Canada, apple made it so it would cost the same in the states even with the tax! The Canadian economy is hurting where I am but can you blame us for buying stuff over the border when it's soooooo much cheaper?!?!?!

Split it with you? jk...

Have you imported stuff into Canada before? Every online purchase I ever made from a US site and got shipped to Canada had all applicable Canadian taxes added on by the friendly broker or customs agent.

Sounds like a proxy address in the US near the border....no duty.

Have you imported stuff into Canada before? Every online purchase I ever made from a US site and got shipped to Canada had all applicable Canadian taxes added on by the friendly broker or customs agent.

You just sneak it in... I leave the box at my sister's house bring the product in and put it in a worn bag so it looks used, Next trip i bring the box. Done it TONS of times. if it is something i need the box for i just have my sister bring it over, American's pay less tax bringing it over i think... In this case however, the d800e is actually miles more expensive even before taxes, so even if i paid all the applicable taxes i would still make out better.

i cross the border every week, i bring in TONS of stuff, i declare everything i buy that trip or i bring people with me so my order will be the same as the allowable amount. All you need is a relative or a good friend near the border, and everything is sunny.

Abe's of Maine and Beach Camera are both excellent companies and don't charge NY tax.

Most reactions

Back