"Salted Razors" Portfolio (omg sooo emo)

cHeeunIT890

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Basically the idea behind this portfolio came from my friend and I after we had just finished practice. We both do photography and were discussing how much we hate emo-type pictures and how unnecessary it is to sprew all of one's own personal hate/bull**** for everyone else to see. So, we decided to begin making THE MOST cliche collection of our own "emo" photos which we're appropriately calling the "Salted Razors" series.

Here's the first photo of the series for your own viewing pleasure. There will be more to come in the future!

saltedrazorsxo8.jpg

"I hate all you conformist assholes :grumpy:."

hahahahah

Making fun of that is not cool. My girlfriend used to have a serious problem with cutting before meeting me. then she'd pout salt into her wounds. Luckily the salt healed her wounds better but it really isn't cool. Unless you are conveying a serious message or emotion and not just poking fun of people who hate their lives, this is offensive. True many "emos" are fake and cut themselves because they think it's cool, and others
to get attention, but some people have real issues.

everyone's entitled to their own opinions. this is just my friend's and mine.

Damn, I'm gettin old. I have no idea what yall are talking about.:confused:

hhahaha, stretch . . . . cutting, as in cutting themselves with razor blades.

I don't like the fact its a ****-take of SH'ers despite majority of Emo's being fake and sheep like and not actually depressed... however from a technical POV I'd say the model looks more demented than depressed. He appears to be staring to hard to hold the pose and there is no sadness in his eyes to evoke the emotion your looking for. Get the model to work on the pose a bit and you could be onto a winner!

Damn, I'm gettin old. I have no idea what yall are talking about.:confused:

Same here, Stretch. Same here.
But my son's home early from school and he at least has a vague idea (I did not even have THAT) as to what "emo" stands for.

But also he had to suggest I check out Wikipedia to find what is written there.

IF it is to do with depression, basically, and self-harm, then yes, it is a delicate subject, and yes, then maybe it might be something that doesn't really bear to be made fun of, but - since these things EXIST - should not entirely be excluded from the big field of photography.

IF you two, CHEE, are actually trying to kid those who are seriously suffering (which I doubt, I guess you are more trying to kid the scene that in itself only reflects who are seriously sad, depressed and self-harming, and I hope I am right), you should keep such photos to yourselves and not make them public.

But, like I was saying, I doubt you are meaning to do that.

As to the photo as photo ... :scratch: ... what can I say if the entire "emo"-business is next to unknown to me.....!?!?!?!?

Well, of course I remember all the further discussion on "emo" as lifestyle versus really being sad, depressed and so on, even though it all got lost in the server outage, after which the most recent parts of the forum could not be restored.

So to summarize it again, what you meant to mock in your photos is "emo" as an adopted LIFESTYLE, but not mock people who really, really suffer.

Thought I should say so once again.

We seem to have lost some of this discussion during the update. :( Corinna, you're a mod--can you bring it back? :wink:

No. Can't. Neither can the admins. It got LOST in the server outage. Unretrievably lost. Else Chase WOULD have restored it.

That is why I summarized the outcome of our discussion.

No. Can't. Neither can the admins. It got LOST in the server outage. Unretrievably lost. Else Chase WOULD have restored it.

That is why I summarized the outcome of our discussion.

Ooops. I should've read through the thread more closely :)

i think its a terribly oddly framed shot. with lots of dead space on the left, and me wanting to see a little more on the right.

as far as content goes, or the theme, i think its fairly weak to use the power of photography to poke fun of something so juvenile. or to be so juvenile as to stoop to the level of those your poking fun of and create a whole portfolio (currently one image?) which does the exact thing you said you had some distaste for --- "and were discussing how much we hate emo-type pictures and how unnecessary it is to sprew all of one's own personal hate/bull**** for everyone else to see." ---i know this may be going outside the realm of general critique and i apologize for that, but really?

i think its great to feel passionate about something and to use photography to show that; but rather than use cliche (which most of us associate with being a bad thing)photos to attempt to poke fun at what is for most people a fashion statement why don't you do something original or productive.

for example, raise awareness about modern agriculture, help get prostitutes off the street, help feed starving children. or even the less noble task of sheding some positive or negative light on a local political figure. come on man, photography is such a powerful tool. speaking of tools it might be up your alley to show how your teachers are tools to a conflict theorists idea of education or religion.

just a opinion, and sorry if i'm out of line.

I've been putting off looking in this thread.

My baby brother used to cut himself alot. Lots of drugs, depression, self-hatred and loathing. He married a woman, who although she was a manipulative, greedy, self-centered, Satan's witch sprewn from the yellow bowels of hell, ended up having three beautiful children who loved their father. They were his redemption. He cleaned up his act and began acting responsible. The little woman wasn't behind him though.

He's dead now (29).

We think his wife poisoned him with some homebrew speed that she slipped into his food- of course the result was an accident. She just wanted him to clean up the house while she was gone shopping for the day. He ended up twitching to death on the floor with blue stuff foaming from his mouth as another of my brothers watched. He tried to help, but the episode only lasted a couple minutes.

Our family hasn't seen her or the kids since. Well, just her at the funeral when she blurted out, "It was all an accident, and he wasn't supposed to die."

--

So if that's the type of emotions and memories you're attempting to provoke with parody, well done. Pretty funny- teehee.

OK I think its important to point out that there is a severe difference between "emo" kids and people who actually have real mental issues which cause them to self-destruct, etc. The audience this photo was aimed at is obviously one in which it is "cool" to wear dark eye make up to make yourself look more depressed and uber tight jeans for God knows what reason, and it's cool to cut yourself, etc. These things are done not to help themselves cope with their issues, but rather for the people around them so they can show how trendy and, well, "EMOtional" they are.

And for the record, its not a great picture, but I still LOL'd

Most reactions

New Topics

Back