"Salted Razors" Portfolio (omg sooo emo)

well, yeah, i'm SURE it would, i was just saying that i dont know if its necessarily wrong to do, just un PC. I think people are maybe being a little overly sensitive about it though, because its only art, and people are letting their personal experiences and feelings judge whether its appropriate or not, and i dont think that those things should be what tell you if art is good or not.

Ah. I get it now. :) Well, it does all depend on the person and their own personal previous experiences, but I completely agree about your 'if art is good or not' statement.

and one last thing, Emo is a choice, if you are depressed, there ARE other ways to deal with it besides becoming emo

yeah, my take on it, is that it looks somewhat emo, but i'd never guess that it was intended to poke fun at the lifestyle, but how can you make a photo poke fun at something that already looks sorta funny... ya kno? if someone dresses all in black and walks around looking like that, it'd be hard to tell if they were actually that way, or just making fun of it, unlike a man dressed in an ape suit , (where you'd KNOW he wasnt actaully a monkey...) does that make sense?

it was the "omg sooo emo" that showed he was poking fun of it.

I don't see any opinions expressed in this work at all. What opinion would it be? His friend looks gay in eyeliner? What a retarded way to use a camera.

i think a lot of people are being so critical towards this , has something to do with the gramar used. the "omg soooo emo" sounds like something a 14 year old girl would say or something, and i think a lot of people are seeing this as immature (which i suppose it might be to some extent) but do you think you'd be acting the same way if the photographer typed like an adult?

To me it lacks the distain and disgust that seems to swirl around "emo." Check out this picture of Conor Oberst, which is what I think of when someone says "emo."

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...shack.us/img366/88/lifted8we7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

He seems to just be bored/disgusted/angry with everybody he sees; yet at the same time "deep" or "souful" or "complex." Sorry to any of you Bright Eyes fans out there...

To me it lacks the distain and disgust that seems to swirl around "emo." Check out this picture of Conor Oberst, which is what I think of when someone says "emo."

He seems to just be bored/disgusted/angry with everybody he sees; yet at the same time "deep" or "souful" or "complex." Sorry to any of you Bright Eyes fans out there...

exactly what I was getting at but with pictures to back it up, thanks!! the OPs photo doesn't have any real emotion in the models eyes but that bloke does that captures it well.

This is not cool. I hate the term emo. This is just making fun of them, be careful.

i think a lot of people are being so critical towards this , has something to do with the gramar used. the "omg soooo emo" sounds like something a 14 year old girl would say or something, and i think a lot of people are seeing this as immature (which i suppose it might be to some extent) but do you think you'd be acting the same way if the photographer typed like an adult?

*is a 14 year old girl*
Watch it. ;)

Making fun of emo is so 2006. I'm sure you guys don't even know what emo really is.

I am completely sympathetic to the OP as far as his right to create this. This is not a personal attack against the mentally ill, it's intended to portray the absurdity of glorified self-hatred. He has every right in the world to shoot what he wants, no matter the subject.

That said, I also agree that this is simply offensive for the sake of offensiveness and critical debate is better spent elsewhere. There are plenty of provocative artists and photographers out there that spark controversy through critical thought and philosophies which will be portrayed in the work they produce. These are the pieces to get worked up over (love them or hate them), not spiteful parody.

Just my opinion, but this is farce and critical debate only encourages further additions to this one-trick "portfolio".

To the OP - pardon my words. If you're actually serious about commenting on this movement, then I suggest you spend more time learning about mental illness and speaking with "emo" kids. A better understanding of the truths and bastardizations of profliferating a percieved depression epidemic is a compelling and potentially deep bit of subject matter with enormous potential - if tackled in earnest and with a desire to understand. There is more to find by asking why and developing an opinion to share, rather than mocking the unknown.

*is a 14 year old girl*
Watch it. ;)

hah, sorry, stereotypical teenage girl. Dont tell me you havent heard more teen girls say OMG than any other age/sex, not saying other people DONT say it, but you know, TV, movies... damn stereotypes....:lol:

Well said girlfriend cheated on me and we broke up 2 days ago. I still think the subject is bad, just right now I am worried she is going to hurt herself after this breakup.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back