TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Old Saltaire Wash Mill, West Yorkshire
PSX_20231030_072121.png

Old Saltaire Wash Mill, West Yorkshire View attachment 269671
Always enjoy seeing these type of photos depicting a previously thriving way of life.
Like the composition. It has a sense of power in that expanse of running water which is what that mill no doubt needed.

Does it still have a wheel? I couldn't find much out about it

Always enjoy seeing these type of photos depicting a previously thriving way of life.
Like the composition. It has a sense of power in that expanse of running water which is what that mill no doubt needed.

Does it still have a wheel? I couldn't find much out about it
There was no wheel attached to this building, It was a Fulling Mill.

To make woven woollens acceptable, fulling is essential. Fulling pounds the woven length, or piece, in water with crude detergent, to cleanse the wool and mat the fibres together. The Ancients would walk on the cloth in a trough or stream bed. More efficient water wheels led to the water powered fulling mill. Here heavy wooden mallets in a fulling stock were mechanically lifted and dropped repeatedly on the wet cloth in a wooden trough. This remained the woollen trade’s only mechanised process for many, many years.

Nice silky water and an interesting scene of yesteryear.

There was no wheel attached to this building, It was a Fulling Mill.

To make woven woollens acceptable, fulling is essential. Fulling pounds the woven length, or piece, in water with crude detergent, to cleanse the wool and mat the fibres together. The Ancients would walk on the cloth in a trough or stream bed. More efficient water wheels led to the water powered fulling mill. Here heavy wooden mallets in a fulling stock were mechanically lifted and dropped repeatedly on the wet cloth in a wooden trough. This remained the woollen trade’s only mechanised process for many, many years.
Thanks. Very interesting

Most reactions

Back