Salty, the Cockatoo

Beautiful bird. Saw one on you tube acting up and throwing a fit, very funny birds.

How do you keep him from flying away? Nice photo =]

I found a shot I had that shows the thumb clamp method. Simple, but it anchors them, and they know it. Only problem, if they WANT to fly away ( scared ) and can't, your forearm might take a few hits until you get him away from whatever it is.
How do you keep him from flying away? Nice photo =]

I found a shot I had that shows the thumb clamp method. Simple, but it anchors them, and they know it. Only problem, if they WANT to fly away ( scared ) and can't, your forearm might take a few hits until you get him away from whatever it is.
Beautiful Salty.. and everything you explained is right on the money... they bond and when you do too "Don't break their heart... I have a umbrella cockatoo..African gray and cockatiels
earrings set 030.JPG

Beautiful bird. Saw one on you tube acting up and throwing a fit, very funny birds.

Oh yea lol. Throwing a fit is a regular thing haha. Salty has most of his at bed time. During their hormonal season they get a little testy easily and daily fits are common. See it a lot on the FB groups.

They can get over stimulated quickly as well, if you're playing. That can turn into sweet, dancing birdie into Raptor Birdie without any real warning. The longer you own and spend time w/ your bird, the better and easier it gets to read them. You can pretty much tell : " Oh.. Crazy Bird's been activated" and you can start changing the energy to calm them down.

Beautiful Salty.. and everything you explained is right on the money... they bond and when you do too "Don't break their heart... I have a umbrella cockatoo..African gray and cockatiels

Ohhh :congratulatory: your Gray is quite beautiful as well :heartpump::heartpump: That's the next one / holding out for. There's a licenced woman in town here who breeds certain birds and African Gray's are one of them. We're going to do a few home renos I think first, because we'd like to rearrange things so maybe Salty has his own room / build a huge aviary that we can walk into. If the latter is the case, we will be working things so we can get Gray + he'll have his own big aviary.

We've had a chance to take on other birds. We recently fostered a sweet little 8 year old Sulfur Crested, Max, for about 2 months before we got him a guaranteed, long term home. And he went to the perfect home for him and them, worked out awesome.
But yea, as far as owning any more big birds, we're waiting until we can get the Gray.

Last edited:

Oh yea lol. Throwing a fit is a regular thing haha.

Ohhh :congratulatory: your Gray is quite beautiful as well :heartpump::heartpump: That's the next one / holding out for. There's a licenced woman in town here who breeds certain birds and African Gray's are one of them. We're going to do a few home renos I think first, because we'd like to rearrange things so maybe Salty has his own room / build a huge aviary that we can walk into. If the latter is the case, we will be working things so we can get Gray + he'll have his own big aviary.

We've had a chance to take on other birds. We recently fostered a sweet little 8 year old Sulfur Crested, Max, for about 2 months before we got him a guaranteed, long term home. And he went to the perfect home for him and them, worked out awesome.
But yea, as far as owning any more big birds, we're waiting until we can get the Gray.
thank you so much.....
I love all my birds but my Mr Cash.. is the best of my best.. he talks perfect English in sentences.. asks for cookies etc etc.. of course I just give him a tiny piece.. An Aviary sounds wonderful...… if I ever move down to florida I would turn the room with the screened-in porch into an Aviary.. for now they are all in the office with me..

Last edited:
He is beautiful! I love birds - when I was growing up my mother always had at least one parakeet/budgie around. She worked with them daily so they were very social, tame, and chatterboxes. :lol:

I'd love to have a large bird, but have concerns about my cats. How do all your cats act around Salty?

Thank you :). Our youngest cats are 15, so that might be a factor right from the start. However, they don't have / care / want anything to do with him.
His cage is beside my desk, the cat food area is behind that : they routinely go across my desk, by the cage to get to the back. That's the most interaction they have with him.

Every now and then, on his outings, completely supervised, a few of the cats won't move if he comes up to them. He will start preening them if they don't move. We never let it go for long though, never know who might say " ok, enough" first. They'd be in big trouble if he bit, and he'd be in major trouble if they scratched him. But really, they don't care to interact.

One of the pups is a different story. The girls have never cared about him. Our oldest, first couple days, really really really wanted to get a sniff in, after that - meh.
The other, younger boy has 8 of 10 signs for autism in dogs ( yea, didn't know until we started researching his weird behaviour when he was younger ). He's not 100% cool with Salty. He's loud, and he takes up Mommy time lol. He's a mouth dog, so.... he wants more than a sniff of Salty LOL. Just have to pay attention to where Salty is and where the dog is when Salty's floor roaming. Really, other than that, zero issues.

Terri asked the exact question I was going to ask! I didn't grow up with birds, but I've had a few budgies and have always wanted larger birds, too. I just love them and their dinosaur feet :) But I also have 2 cats and I worry about introducing a bird.

Thanks for all of this really great info! Now we need more pictures ;)

Salty sounds like a character. Nice shot. :)

I didn't see this for some reason earlier, I'm sorry for the non reply. As you can see from my way too much talking that he certainly does live up to his name lol

Actually doing some pic stuff this afternoon, and I will definitely post more of Salty when they're done

#4 and #8 The love these two have for each other is something I never thought I would see. As soon her truck comes around the corner, Salty starts dancing and singing, swinging around the cage ; just LOVES mommy. He took to her the first day she met him, she fell in love on that first visit.

I think if something were to ever happen to Salty, she'd be the same as if it were one of the pups. They are inseparable and it warms my heart to see them with each other.

#9 Usual bed time antics lol. He knows when it's bed time, so that's when it's time to start acting up. He's quite comical at bed time sometimes.

He's definitely a very unique part of our home, and we can't imagine life without him.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 122
Here are a couple I spotted on my walk around the lake yesterday. They were having a great old time getting the pine seeds out of the tree.
cockatoos.jpg

I believe those are Corella ( spelling might be wrong ) Cockatoos :). These type are very, very sweet and cuddly. If we ever get another Cockatoo, it'll be a Goffin for sure.

A lot of the folks on the FB Cockatoo page we belong to, are from Australia and regularly post images of the flocks of Too's that visit their yard.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back