[Samples inside] What's the best camera/lens for shooting out of a plane window?

Discussion in 'Aerial Photography' started by FlynShoot, Jul 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BrentC

BrentC Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I think it a waste of money to get a big huge DSLR just to take pictures out a plane window. You don't want to carry that around while traveling if its only for plane windows. Get a good compact point and shoot camera that you can carry around easily or a bridge camera at most. The Sony RX is too much money to spend for the quality you will end up getting. Much cheaper options that will give you better than phone and a little more control.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Probably not.

The D7200 deal will help you get better photos than what you're using now. There is a learning curve associated with DSLR's that you should expect will take some time. Give it time and your dedication to learn the system and also continue to learn how to take photos from airplane windows. There are some tricks and stumbling blocks to be aware of.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. FlynShoot

FlynShoot TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you very much for your wise feedback.

4. FlynShoot

FlynShoot TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you Designer for your feedback. I have to admit that the DSLR is also a pretext for me to improve my general photography skills. I do also shoot on ground :) and I'd like to improve my photos..

So the idea is to have a Camera/Lens which is good for airplane shots, and then nature, cityscape, family photos. If I found that I am finally good and able to handle a DSLR, I'll then add purpose specific lenses ...

Here few more of other photos which I took with my phone:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    2 points.

1. The angle from the sun to the window and quality of the light has loads to do with how clear the scene will be and how apparently clear the window will be. If the scene is back lit the window will likely not be as transparent as when the sun is exactly on the opposite side of the aircraft from the window being used.

2. On commercial airliners there are 3 windows, outer, middle, and inner. They are made of acrylic or polycarbonate plastics.
    Over time the windows are subject to "crazing" -- hairline cracks on the surface of the material that form from dirt, stress, temperature, UV exposure, and the like.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  6. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

[​IMG]
    I used a Nikon F film camera to shoot out of this plane window. I think it came out pretty clear.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not to mention surface scratches caused by cleaning, little kids etc.

8. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Thanks for that. What I'm seeing isn't a lot of noise, there's a little posterisation in the sunset shots, there's some that are lower resolution than the others so pixelise more quickly on zooming in, there's quite a few with motion blur, there are a few with a fair bit of noise reduction applied which can ruin detail (I'm assuming it's built in to your camera) and there's just some general clarity issues which are probably more to do with the window and the atmosphere. You'll be able to mitigate the latter a little with clarity, contrast and colour boosts in post (Lightroom's dehaze function is pretty good at this). But 115144_5 is probably about the quality I'd expect generally.

Of course the D7200 is a cracking camera, and if you want to use it for general photography it's a great choice which will offer you lots of flexibility, but it may not spesifically fix some of the issues in these shots.