Nikon DX upgrade? Body? Lenses

This is one of those rare time where I say look into a body vs a good lens.

I've been seeing some Wildlife photographers using the D850. A grip will put it around 9 fps and the focus isn't that bad either. The problem is you will need a grip and D5 battery....about $1,000 in accessories to get that 9fps. Its a full frame and you will loose the 1.5 crop but you have 45 MP giving you some wiggle room on cropping. Now this is a high resolution setup and its unforgiving when it comes to shooter flaws. I mean bad shooting techniques is going to show up until you get good with it. The D850 isn't going to disappoint as a landscape/Nature/Flower camera either.

Hmmm I would upgrade the 18-55 to a 16-80 f/2.8-f/4.0. If you are happy with the D7200 and want to stay with DX, the only thing a D7500 offers is a deeper buffer but you lose the extra card slot and vertical grip opton. The D500 offers a much deeper buffer and better focusing system but you lose your built in flash and the body is heavier. I don't think that either the D500 or D7500 offer any significant IQ improvement over the D7200.

The newest iteration of the venerable 70-200 is nothing but phenomenal in performance (and price). Yes, it's expensive, and I doubt if you will see any used examples anytime soon, but for someone who can afford it, it is right now the bee's knees in terms of performance. The VR should be called VRIII, but that is not how Nikon has done it. Here is a link, although you might be able to find one for a bit less by shopping around:

AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR | Interchangeable Lens for Nikon DSLRs

My issue with that lens is that Nikon moved the zoom ring to the front of the lens. To me that seems like it would be difficult to use/zoom hand held. I would have to actually try it to see what the balance and handling is like. I like my 70-200/4 with the zoom ring where it is, which is perfect for handheld use. I hold the lens at the balance point of the lens+camera, and my fingers easily turn the zoom ring. Maybe if you shoot on a monopod, then a front zoom ring is farther from the monopod so your hand has more clearance.

I've had issues with longer/heavier lenses with the zoom ring too close to body. They probably did it for this reason.

I did a field test with my 70-200/4 at four soccer matches.
  • Front zoom ring position
    • When I hold the lens in the middle, a bit forward of CG, I can finger zoom, which I my preferred style.
    • If you hand grab the zoom ring, it does not work, because you are holding the lens significantly forward of the CG. Then your right hand has to support the camera and back of the lens.
    • When I put the lens on a monopod, a front zoom ring is definitely easier to use. I positions your zoom and to avoid the monopod. So definitely good for a heavier zoom like the 70-200/2.8 when used on a monopod.
  • Current rear zoom ring position
    • When I hold the lens on the CG, it is easy for me to use the zoom ring with my fingers or a partial hand grip.
    • The existing zoom ring position is a bit difficult to use on a monopod, as the ring is partially blocked by the tripod foot.
But, having just shot four soccer games, I much prefer to shoot handheld than off a monopod. I just could not track the large horizontal arc of movement that happens in soccer, while on the monopod. I had to clumsily move my entire body around the monopod to cover the arc, and that was SLOW.

Most reactions

Back