Samsung NX mini or Sony alpha5000

Cey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello PhotoForum community,

I am very new to this community and very excited to read all the interesting tips and discussions.
I am planning to buy a new camera and I am in between the Samsung NX mini and the Sony a5000.
The reason for this is that I have only a limited amount of money that I can spend on a new beginners camera and I want a camera that is handy, portable (smaller than a classic DSLR).
I have watched a view YouTube reviews and read a lot on these two cameras and I am still not sure which one to get.

I don't really have to money to buy expensive lenses and I am interested in taking my camera with me wherever I go and take pictures of my friends, nature and architecture (so nothing fancy).

A friend recommended this forum to me and I hope you guys and girls can give me some suggestions.

Thank you very much for your support in advance !

Welcome to the forum.

I'd go Sony as it has a bigger sensor which has a few advantages, ultimately should give better quality images in more situations.

I believe Sony also has more lens options

Thanks Jaomul!
Your right I was also thinking that a bigger sensor is always a good thing and the Sony also looks more like a more decent camera...

I was also reading that the Samsung has more options, such as the auto focus when you touch the screen on the object that you would like to focus on and apparently the Sony does not has that feature.

What do you guys think about the Micro SD (SAMSUNG) card option. I have read that its much slower than the standard SD cards (SONY).

I am also interested in portability. Any idea if the Samsung is much more convenient to carry around or do you guys think that both cameras a small enough to put in your "pocket" and that there is no real difference?

the NX shoots faster, so it's probably not a big deal.

between those, I might lean NX, but I'd lean a6000 over the a5000 for sure.

Thank you very much for the answers. I agree that the a6000 is a much better camera but is also significantly more expensive. This is why my initial question was around the a5000 and the nx mini. I would really appreciate if you could help me with my decision as I have still no idea....

You will find this in forums all the time. the next more expensive model is suggested which is generally the one above your budget.

The a5000 has an aps-c type sensor, with sonys new very impressive sensor tech. it will be capable within reason of good quality images in good to low light, and if paired with a fast aperture lens will enable you to separate subject from backgrounds easier than a camera with a smaller sensor.

The samsung, well reviewed though its 1" sensor will not allow quite as good low light performance, and makes that separation a little more difficult to achieve.

The Sony has a few more lenses/ the samsung has a convenient touch screen. The samsung is probably more user friendly, the sony should yield better image quality.

No matter which one you buy, buy a good fast memory card from a recognised manufacturer

Thank you so much jaomul!

The Sony a5000 sounds like a better deal to me than. I do have an Iphone 5s and I know its not the same as a "proper" camera but I am scared that if I get the NX, I will end up with something that I might have already with my phone (taking quick pictures of your friends and portability). I want a camera that is more than my Iphone camera but less than an expert DSLR.

In short, I have been reading and researching a lot now on both cameras and I now tent to get the a5000 as it seems to be more of a camera rather than a "pimp" Iphone camera (the NX mini is often referred as the "selfie" camera which worries me a bit)

I hope I'm not offending anyone here by comparing my Iphone camera with the NX mini but these are my current thoughts and association and I would really appreciate if you could tell me that the stuff that I am saying makes sense :)

Thank you so much again for the support and especially Jaomul your really helpful !

I'll say one thing, and its only worth the paper its written on :) . Don't get caught up in camera descriptions, the iphone is a very capable camera, albeit with creative limitations. The samsung would be great due the fact it has various lens options, but more crucially manual control options which allow you to create the photo. In my opinion the Sony is just better due it has a larger sensor allowing a little more creative depth of field etc.

I know a guy who has an old dslr that is prehistoric 8mp compared to modern versions. He does amazing shots that get published in magazines regular. He can be considered a pro because he makes a little money, his kit is considered entry level. I know a guy who owns 2 Nikon d3s,top of the range a few short years ago. i have seen 2 wedding he has done and reckon most could do better with their iphones

Hahahah ! Just about to leave my office and I had a really stressful day. This comment just made me smile and be positive. THANK YOU!
My father still has his analogue film camera which he as bough for 50£ and he is still happy with that and keeps showing me his photos (which are really impressive). So I def. understand your point here.

Amazon offers the a5000 with a SEL-1650 lens for 240£. I think I cant do anything wrong getting this camera and hope to be creative and capture some interesting pictures (really excited about that).

Thank you so much again for the help!

Enjoy. Don't forget to post photos here with your new toy. A 16-50 lens is very useful, 16mm is much better than 18mm for a walk around zoom. (lots of kit lenses are 18-55mm)

Sure I will!

Thank you so much jaomul!

The Sony a5000 sounds like a better deal to me than. I do have an Iphone 5s and I know its not the same as a "proper" camera but I am scared that if I get the NX, I will end up with something that I might have already with my phone (taking quick pictures of your friends and portability). I want a camera that is more than my Iphone camera but less than an expert DSLR.

you iphone dreams it could take as good of pictures as the NX mini.

the NX mini is often referred as the "selfie" camera which worries me a bit

the a5000's screen can flip up to take selfies in the exact same manner as the NX.

Braineack I know that my statements were not really smart at some point but I'm really not an expert and I'm interested in getting into photography and I just wanted to post my honest thoughts and ask the forum and I didn't want to offend anyone and especially no one that is pro NX mini :)

Thank you very much for the answers. I agree that the a6000 is a much better camera but is also significantly more expensive. This is why my initial question was around the a5000 and the nx mini. I would really appreciate if you could help me with my decision as I have still no idea....

from my little research, the nx mini with the 9-27mm lens is just about the same price as the a5100 or a6000 with the 16-50.

I didn't want to offend anyone and especially no one that is pro NX mini :)

im not pro NX Mini, im just anti-iphone. I haven't heard of that camera until today.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back