Savannah At Night

jr8801

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im very new to photograhy. I just got my camera at christmas and used a Point and Shoot on auto until now. Please give me pointers on what i did wrong all shots are in manual with different Apature and Shutter speeds. at ISO400 and i believe one of them has a an exposer of -1.3. All are witht eh Kit lens 18-55mm. and THey were all raw files that i tried to touch up but i dont know how to do that really so these are my attempts any pointers on pp would be great to.

statue.jpg

Riverstreet2.jpg

Riverstreet.jpg

The second picture, at least to my amateur eyes, looks great.

With the first one, it looks like the light meter found the bright lights of the fountain and set itself up for that. You might want to point the camera at a darker place in the photo and get the light meter reading from that area. Set your exposure for that area, then refocus the picture and take it.

The second picture, at least to my amateur eyes, looks great.

With the first one, it looks like the light meter found the bright lights of the fountain and set itself up for that. You might want to point the camera at a darker place in the photo and get the light meter reading from that area. Set your exposure for that area, then refocus the picture and take it.

You got it backwards. It's made an average of the scene and therefore blown out the fountain. I would have gone darker to get some detail out of the fountain. Probably woulda got closer.

so i should have been closer to the fountain? thanks for the replys

Well if you really are new to this game you have done fantastically well - I've added a touch of contrast to nu 2, if that's okay, to make it crisper as I really like that shot. Well done
riverstreet.jpg

so i should have been closer to the fountain? thanks for the replys

I read it like this; Mark is pointing out that if your camera metered the bright spots of the fountain those areas would not be blown out. Your distance to the subject is not the problem.

Your (mystery) camera probably has centered weighted metering, average, spot and so on. Mess with these and try to pay attention to where the meter sampling is occurring in a shot like this.

On shot #3 I'm sure you could have pulled a tighter manual focus.

Hopefully I have not mislead you, but if I have I'm sure to be corrected so check back and keep shooting!

-Shea

thank you for the replys ill probably go back to the fountain and try what you guys have told me

I like the River Street shots, I love the lights reflecting on the water. Savannah is a beautiful city for photography. I can't wait to get back down there. How you likin' the D40?

Thank you for the comments. And i love the camera i just have so much to learn lol. but hopefully one day ill get the hang of it

Most reactions

New Topics

Back