Save $400?

danpclements

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello Everyone! I am currently trying to make a descision that I'm afraid could either leave me broke or unhappy. I am deciding between Canon 400d versus Canon 30d. I am going to get both a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO Macro HSM Autofocus Lens and a sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX Aspherical DG DF RF Autofocus Lens either way, but will only get one 2 gig card with the 30d and two 2 gig cards with the xti.

My question: Is it worth 400 bucks to get the 30d? Also, do those lenses look like they will be good for most situations?

If there is any other advice you want to give, feel free to give it :)

I would get the 30D because its stronger, better built and shoots 5 fps (the 400D shoots 2.5 fps I think). But I'm not sure about the 70-200mm lenses if its a true macro because macros are meant for close focus. It would be better to get a multi purpose lens. then maybe a macro later.

The 70-200 isn't a true macro, not even close heh. It has a ratio of 1:3.8, so not a true macro. I would be using it mostly as a telephoto lens.

It's not worth the extra money. The 30D is not $400 better. But this is coming from someone who thinks that all DSLR's are a waste of money until full-frame ones become affordable.

The XTi (400D) shoots 3fps, but it also has sensor cleaning. The 30D has spot metering (the XTi doesn't, and it really bothers me). And the 30D is a little bit more comfortable to hold, it's a little more sturdy.

It's close though. Image wise, the two are both very good and similar. I'm going to save up for a 5D.

Sensor cleaning is not all it's hyped up to be. Case in point: On my XT, it came with a speck of dust on the sensor. I set it to sensor cleaning mode (that's mirror up and shutter open) and simply blew the dust off. Now it takes spotless pictures. How correct that is, I have no idea.

As far as I know, the 30d has some better features, i.e., a metal (magnesium?) body, 5fps burst rate, 3200 max ISO.

Well I have had my XTi for almost a year (10 months), and I haven't had to clean my sensor yet.

The 30D is definately a better body it is worth the extra money that you would pay to upgrade but now you have to figure if it is worth it to you.

If I had researched into the used market a little rahter than insisting on getting a newer camera. I would have SOOOOOOO taken the 20D over my XT. A used 20D at the time was the same price as a new XT. I kick myself all the time for that when I once shot with a photographer's 20D at a Ski event. It also had the 70-200 2.8 L on it so it may be a bit biased but damn it was cool. The metal body, longer shutter life, and faster burst were sooooo nice.

Most reactions

Back