Saved a life?!

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was out front shooting the flowers and heard a bird hit the window. When I first looked up it looked like it was sitting on the vine with it's head up so I went back to what I was doing and tried to not disturb it while it recovered.... Something didn't seem right but it was in the weird shadows of the grapevines so without going closer I couldn't tell... I zoomed in and took a couple shots... Yikes!! It was a Red Eyed Vireo and it was in trouble.

I went and gently lifted it off the vine and sat on the ground with it. After a bit it flew out of my hand to the rocks just in front of me and panted for a while longer.

Gradually it felt better :)

And flew away...

Poor little fella! Usually a collision with a window is a one way, fast-track ticket to the pearly gates! He'll have a headache for a while!

I had that happen with a Hummingbird at the office last fall. I saw him hit the window, and held him in the palm of my hand until he recovered. He layed there for a while but finally stood up. When he quit shaking I put him on a limb of a bush by the door and after a few more minues he flew off.

Where I used to work we had a lake around the building and it was populated with ducks and geese. It was an every-week occurrance when one of them would slam into a window, and they frequently didn't recover from it.

Thanks Forkie and Scott.

Luckily the birds that hit the windows here more often than not have just taken off from the vines and not gotten up any speed yet. We gets lots of stuns and only lost two (that we have found) so far. That's not a bad record since the whole south side of the house is huge windows.

Poor Hummingbird Scott, I'm glad he recovered!

Nice save for the poor little guy, and very nice photos!

Have you seen those stick-on big bird thingies that you can put on your windows to stop the bird collisions? I've seen them around alot, but don't know if they are useful.

Thanks Blacksheep :)

We have one on our bedroom window on the second floor but have seen a dead bird on the roof below so unsure if they work lol. The south side windows are 80% covered with grapevines. What usually happens is there are a bunch of little guys in the garden/vines and a big bully comes in and everyone scatters, I'm not sure there is a way to prevent it.

The vines are wayyy bushier than in this shot (was lazy and just grabbed the listing shot lol) but it gives ya the idea.

47690_468189760518_730800518_704538.jpg

Awww Tony thanks :) Great save.

Altho I've never saved a bird, I did have a squirrel fall off of a telephone wire and land on my shoulder. Saved it from splattering on the concrete driveway. I don't know who was more frightened by the experience.

lol! I didn't notice that Bunadski lol I suppose if I was a bird that experience might scare the **** out of me too lol.

ScubaDude holy Hannah! I can only imagine! But sorry I'm giggling lol...

You made a friend! :hug::

Twice I rescued baby birds that somehow found themselves inside a bird feeder! After the second event, I turned the bird feeder into a flower pot. Much safer.

Well my dogs pretty far back had a poor bird drowning in the pool so I went out and grabbed him out and he recovered within 20 minutes.

you fail before sucsess

Judi, just a super set that tells a very happy story. Picture 2 is just a super image.

BTW, that's some nice "mansion" you live in.

Thanks Blacksheep :)

We have one on our bedroom window on the second floor but have seen a dead bird on the roof below so unsure if they work lol. The south side windows are 80% covered with grapevines. What usually happens is there are a bunch of little guys in the garden/vines and a big bully comes in and everyone scatters, I'm not sure there is a way to prevent it.

The vines are wayyy bushier than in this shot (was lazy and just grabbed the listing shot lol) but it gives ya the idea.

47690_468189760518_730800518_704538.jpg

Uh, yeah, I guess those tiny little stickers ain't going to help much with windows like that, eh?

Love those windows, nice place :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back