Saving images: Flickr vs. Picasa, which one do you prefer?

I use flickr and photobucket. I like them both. I shoot with a 10D only 6mp and can upload full size jpgs to flickr, I also pay the $24 a year for unlimited bandwith. I want to say I saw an email come through from flickr a while back saying something about increasing the file size limit. Probably right around when they were going to introduce video but i didnt read it since my RAW converted files are not large enough anyway.

I have some family members who use picassa. When they email me the links to check some pics, I find it painful. I find Flickr much easier to navigate and faster as well.

You sound concerned about the safety of your photos online. I use flickr and I'm very happy with it, but if it's a matter of trusting your photos to someone you know will be there for the long run, maybe you should try smugmug. Like they say on their site: It's like Fort Knox for your photos.

Here's a link to try it for free for 14 days and then get $5 off your first year subscription, should you decide to stay. (And I'll be getting 10 bucks towards my renewal)

flickr, but i also use photobucket. can't help but love the upload without size, and flickr is so easy to share and find exactly what you want

Not sure about Nieschu but I have "all sizes" disabled on flickr also. I know it robs the viewer from a bit of a better view but I feel safer that if someone comes up with a way to download a photo from the site (via the source page or any other way) at least hopefully he/she will only get a lower resolution photograph.

Thats exactly why I did it. I had some people stealing my pictures and posting them all over the net so I made it impossible to view anything than the normal size. Sorry, I hope you still liked my pictures. :)

I prefer Picasa over Flikir, but really like Photobucket the best, there is so much more one can do there

Doesn't Photobucket compress the image quality? Flickr and Devaint art have high quality pictures.

To thread starter, buy a usb drive/CD-R to store your picture safely or simple print them out.

Not sure about Nieschu but I have "all sizes" disabled on flickr also. I know it robs the viewer from a bit of a better view but I feel safer that if someone comes up with a way to download a photo from the site (via the source page or any other way) at least hopefully he/she will only get a lower resolution photograph.

Put a water mark on it. That shouldn't rob you or viewers of the quality.

i use flickr.. i've got a pro account, its great, i use it for everything... I also back them up on my external drive too what I do is upload the full quality onto flickr, then from time to time I use the flickr back up application to download all of my pictures from flickr so I have a back up on my external too.

so from what i've been reading, flickr doesn't compress the files whereas photobucket does....? i'm not touching picasa because i never heard of it...

I worry about my hard drive crashing and losing all of my images. (For the sake of discussion, lets forget about backing up images on a DVD.)

OK, for an iron-clad backup scheme:
get an incremental backup app running on your system, backing up mirror data sets to 2 identical harddisks ('RAID1'), and get a 3rd identical data set a couple miles off-site, like in your office, or at a friend's place, on another harddisk (they're cheap these days) that you physically swap with one of the other disks once a month.
You can password protect root for good security.
Just in case your house burns down, or a 20 storey building crane collapses over your high-rise appartment building in NYC. Or whatever!

If your friend wants the same kind of data security you can both store your incremental backups on eachother's harddisks over the internet (provided you both have broadband).
Once setup and started up that can run for years without requiring any human interference.

I could be wrong (and set me straight if I am) but I tend to think that Picasa and Flickr are the two best places to save, back up and store your images. They are probrably the two best image hosts least likely to declare bankruptcy or close down their web site.

And you base that idea on what exactly?

I used to use picasa and was okay using that at the time. But then came across Flickr and have actually not turned back since. I like the mac uploader as well.

But as storage goes an external drive will be far more use. You can get a wireless one for in your home network. Or a wired one if that suits better. I take mine with me when i travel as well. Fits nicely in the camera bag. And at home it sits nicely connected to my file sharing enabled macmini which is connected to the tv. Lightroom stores my images on that which means if anything happens to the laptop i don't need to worry about my pictures.

never tried picasa but can say that flikr's great, i use it to show my photos not to store them or anything, but i know that if any day my hard drive crashes and I lose everything it's just a case of going on flikr and clicking on the download a copy (or something like that) button.

i also use photobucket, it's good, just takes ages for me, says it should take 50 secs and takes 30 minutes and i make sure i dont have loads of things running, anything downloading etc

flickr just because I have every thing from google.

Hate to break it to you, but Flickr is owned by Yahoo.

Flickr has communities which are great. I started the DC/Baltimore/NOVA Strobist group in January or December and there's over 250 members already. We've had four or five big meetups ranging from a lawyer's office to a baseball stadium. We also have a huge range of members; Government workers and bums like me to an IP lawyer, an engineer for the Hubble telescope, armed forces people, etc...

I'm not sure if the other services make it so you can host groups like this.

I use flickr to share my photos with friends/family/the world, but anyone that uses any online site for backups is just asking for disaster. If you want safe backups, extra hard drives are the way to go. DVDs are another option but have been known to fail. I know this won't apply to most people, but these days I shoot mostly film (got bored with digital for some reason) so after scanning, I just keep the negatives in a binder as my backups.

Most reactions

Back