SB-600 or SB-800?

Trever1t

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
wsgphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently have a single SB-600 and am looking for a second flash unit to use on camera as well as remotely CLS.

The D300s has an on board commander so I don't know if it would be worth the added expense of the SB-800? Obviously for on cam use I'd do better with it but is it that much superior?

I'm looking at used units, found one who's asking $345 or best offer whereas I can pick up a second SB-600 for around $150.

Other than the higher output what advantage will the 800 give me to warrant the expense?

I have 2 SB800's and one SB600. The SB800, although expensive, is a good flash. Is it $195 better than SB600? Only you can decide.
More powerful
5 th battery for faster recycle
built in bounce card
special purpose gels
PC sync connection
Head dips below the horizontal a bit, helps with close-ups
CLS commander capable
Stand alone auto mode
Modeling light

SB-800's are so overpriced, just get an SB-900 or Nissin Di-866. I can't believe people are still paying that much for them, sometimes more than new prices!

I have 1x SB-600 and 3x SB-800s. I would take an SB-800 over the 600 anyday. I bought 2 of them used and they have worked flawlessly. They are workhorses for hotshoe flash.

The SB-900 is the one overpriced IMO and it is huge. I don't know much about the SB-700.

Thanks for the reply's.

Kundalini, Do you think $300 is about right for used, flash only?

I paid ~#315-325 used for each about 2 years ago.

Yes, sounds about right if all accessories are included. I got mine from Adorama or B&H from their used collection though, so I was fairly confident in their working condition.

300 is a good price for a sb-800 depending on the condition.

One I'm looking at has no box, reutedly "un-fired" still in wrapping with accesories. I started my offer at $250....

I have read good reviews of the Di866. It may be silly but I'd prefer to stay all Nikon where possible.

I've had 0 problems and plan on getting 2 more. I've had SB600's and SB800's and the only one I still have is the Nissin. So much easier to use and more powerful.

Where are you seeing sb600's for 150?

I'm picking up a SB-600 today without box or stand for $125 from Craigslist if the seller shows up as planned. I haven't heard back from the guy with my bid for the 800.

So that went well. I now own another SB-600. It has a little wear but all functions are go. $125. Now to learn to use multiple flash :D

Most reactions

Back