Sb 600 with monolight?

PhillyPhoton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,
was looking to add a second light source and was going to try to save a little money and get a monolight 150watt to use with the sb600. From everything that Ive read I can either use my on camera (D90) flash as a commander to set off the sb600 to set off the monolight (if has a slave option), or I can hook the camera via hot shoe to the monolight and the monolight would set off the sb600. Does this sound right, any thought, just wondering if it would be easier to just get another sb600?
thanks

could you show me what this moonlight is? im quite interested

I'm not certain...but I don't think that the SB600 has a built-in slave. So if you were to trigger the monolight, the SB600 wouldn't fire on it's own.

The problem with using the built-in flash, is that it uses pre-flash light pulses to talk to & trigger the remote flash. So if you did that, the pre-flashing would trigger the monolight and it wouldn't be able to fire again when the shutter is open.

My suggestion would be to get a radio trigger and two receivers.
Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Flash Trigger :: Wireless Trigger :: Cactus Wireless Flash Trigger Set V4
Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Flash Trigger :: Wireless Trigger :: Cactus Wireless Flash Receiver V4

thanks Mike, i didnt think of that, I see that the triggers were tested with the SB 600 as well as the Vivitar flashes which are signifacantly cheaper, I think I may look into one trigger set, an additional reciever and a vivitar flash, I like staying with speedlights too, more portable.

also you were correct about the preflash setting off the strobes: I happen to come across this scenario on flicker where one person was running into the same issue because the strobes were firing a split second before the shutter, he was able to resolve the issue by putting the on camera flash in manuel (d90 does not prefire in this setting)

also you were correct about the preflash setting off the strobes: I happen to come across this scenario on flicker where one person was running into the same issue because the strobes were firing a split second before the shutter, he was able to resolve the issue by putting the on camera flash in manuel (d90 does not prefire in this setting)
Yes, that's a common issue and the solution (for optically triggering another light) is to put the flash into manual mode.

Another issue may be trying to trigger the 600 with the built-in...because even in manual, it may use a preflash...I'm not sure.

Do you know if they have any built kits that has one transmitter and multiple receivers. I am looking but doesn't seem to be one. These are what you use with your Bee's right Mike? I've been lazy and haven't purchased any yet and keep coming back to these. Price looks decent.

I'm not certain...but I don't think that the SB600 has a built-in slave. So if you were to trigger the monolight, the SB600 wouldn't fire on it's own.

The problem with using the built-in flash, is that it uses pre-flash light pulses to talk to & trigger the remote flash. So if you did that, the pre-flashing would trigger the monolight and it wouldn't be able to fire again when the shutter is open.

My suggestion would be to get a radio trigger and two receivers.
Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Flash Trigger :: Wireless Trigger :: Cactus Wireless Flash Trigger Set V4
Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Flash Trigger :: Wireless Trigger :: Cactus Wireless Flash Receiver V4

Hi Mike ,
The SB600 does have the optical sensor , when it sees a burst of light it will flash...I do this quite often actually if I am using my mono strobe...they both are optical...so either light will fire the other....er others :wink:...I use my SU800 that way some times and it works great, my radio trigger gets a lot of bag time.

RJ.

Yes, that's a common issue and the solution (for optically triggering another light) is to put the flash into manual mode.

Another issue may be trying to trigger the 600 with the built-in...because even in manual, it may use a preflash...I'm not sure.

Yup ,
very valid point...TTL will screw it up and the lights will miss fire on the pulse light....but in manual mode ,its fine...as long as there isnt another photog popping pics.

RJ

Hello everyone,
was looking to add a second light source and was going to try to save a little money and get a monolight 150watt to use with the sb600. From everything that Ive read I can either use my on camera (D90) flash as a commander to set off the sb600 to set off the monolight (if has a slave option), or I can hook the camera via hot shoe to the monolight and the monolight would set off the sb600. Does this sound right, any thought, just wondering if it would be easier to just get another sb600?
thanks

I am not sure if you are designing a system for a small space at home or what ? 150 ws isnt very much light punch wise....you can tweak down a bigger light and not back yourself into a corner....this isnt any of my business ok , but always think very objective when it comes to lighting , build for the future as you go, and your money will be well spent.
Now , smaller wattage lights can make good hair lights ,or some times background lights.
I have a 400 ws that I mix with small strobes and it works out fine in most circumstances...the 400 light dials down nice.I hope this helps,after putting my big snozz in your business :wink:

Do you know if they have any built kits that has one transmitter and multiple receivers. I am looking but doesn't seem to be one. These are what you use with your Bee's right Mike? I've been lazy and haven't purchased any yet and keep coming back to these. Price looks decent.
I don't see any on Gadget Infinity, but you can buy a receiver without the transmitter....so you would just buy the base kit and add receivers as you need them.

The only reason you would need more receivers, are if you are triggering multiple lights/flashes and they don't have their own optical triggers...or if you'll be shooting in a public setting where other people might be taking photos.

In a studio type setting, one is usually enough because studio lights have built-in optical triggers.

I use Cyber Sync flash triggers (from Alien Bee) and most of the time I only need one receiver but I do have a 2nd for situations mentioned above.

I'm thinking for outside, trying to work on some environment portraiture which will still be more studio style I guess. But I want to have a back up for sure.

Most reactions

Back