SB 600 zoom problems

D-50

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was out shooting on saturday and my Sb600 was working fine, then all of a sudden it would no longer zoom out to 14mm. I did not hit it and knock it into anything. I dont know why this has happened. It was extremely cold that day could this have anything to do with it? Anyone have any idea of what happened. The flash still works fine otherwise but I would like to be able to zoom out to 14mm if need be.

you need to flip down the reflector.

I know the reflector has to be flipped down. It was zooming out to 14mm half the afternoon and all of of sudden could no longer zoom to 14mm with the reflector down, I could however zoom through all the other focal lengths with the reflector up or down.

Pull out the batteries, replace with fresh ones and do a reset. If that doesn't resolve the issue, it may require service.

Thats what I think as well. Considering it works at all focal lengths except 14mm I think I'll just roll with it and not spend the cash to fix it. Im getting the SB800 anyway for christmas so I will use that as my primary flash.

I don't know if it matters, but on my canon, it won't zoom all the way out if it is straight up and down, it has to be at some angle before it will zoom all the way wide.

I assume you have tried this...

I know the reflector has to be flipped down. It was zooming out to 14mm half the afternoon and all of of sudden could no longer zoom to 14mm with the reflector down, I could however zoom through all the other focal lengths with the reflector up or down.
Than just zoom it out to 24mm and flip the reflector down. That's what the 14mm setting is.

So you're saying the only difference between 24mm and 14mm on a sb600 is the reflector? The bulb does not move between these two focal lengths?

nope, no movement.

Very interesting, no problem then.

Interesting. The SB-800 moves the bulb when you do that.

If you're at anything but 24mm, the SB-600 bulb slides. I don't know about the SB-800, never used one before.

Most reactions

Back