SB-700 issues

kt_wilk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was using my SB-700 as usual: in remote mode on TTL with my D610. Always works no problems. Halfway through taking pictures, the flash stopped firing. At first I thought the batteries ran out, replaced those, but still is not firing in this setting. Camera and speedlight are set up properly/have the correct settings on for it to work. It just will no longer fire the flash in this specific setting.

Yes, the on camera flash was up. Camera was in correct commander mode with corresponding speedlight settings. The SB-700 still turns on and functions in other ways, for example will work in manual when settings are selected from the camera in remote mode. The speedlight also works appropriately when mounted on the hot shoe.

I can just no longer get it to work specifically in remote on TTL. What am I doing wrong, what happened?? All suggestions welcome!

are you doing this outdoors? the direct-range for the optical pop-up commander to work is pretty low.

Indoors. Very close to the flash. It’s always normally worked this way.

I even tried putting them right next to each other and it still won’t make the flash fire.

We have seen issues reported with the D700 misfiring or perhaps not operating at all. The fix is usually to get the great shoe replaced even though several individuals have done that as well as the trouble came back once again. A few items you might try out are washing the contacts and use the computer sync port. Get More Info

Last edited:
my suggestion is to go with radio triggers. cheap, easy to use, doesn't rely on line-of-sight

my suggestion is to go with radio triggers. cheap, easy to use, doesn't rely on line-of-sight

I will look into this. Thanks.

Nikon seems to think it needs serviced, as all their troubleshooting lead to nothing. My guess is whatever sensor is in the sb-700 is no longer working or communicating with the camera. It works perfectly fine on the HotShoe of the camera.

So I wonder if buying a radio trigger would even help?? Not sure how the mechanics of the wireless flash work. But would hate to buy more things when I need to buy a repair or to buy a new flash.

Most reactions

Back