SB-800 vs 600??

JamieH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Currently, I have the SB-600 but I wanted to get another flash to use in studio situations and sync the two. I was originally going to get another SB-600 but would I have to get additional equipment to get them to sync? Like a pocket wizard or something similar? If I get an SB-800 instead, doesn't that have a built in remote and will it work with the 600?

I think the D50 is new enough to command either the 600 or 800. I personally like the added power of the 800. I"f you are going for "studio" shooting, the power will come in handy if you choose to use umbrella or soft box type modifiers.

I asked a similar question (see link here). The SB-800 lights can go into Commander Mode and will control the SB-600 light when it flashes.

That's what I was wondering, thanks!

I have both a 600 and an 800. I see no reason to get another 600. It will be more 800s. I like the portability and power. It would be nice if I knew how to use them properly hehehe.

The SB-800 lights can go into Commander Mode and will control the SB-600 light when it flashes.

Yes but why bother. Then you still only have just 2 lights, and one is on the camera. Instead use the D50's flash as the commander and you have 3 lights one on camera. This can be done with the SB-600 or SB-800. That said I would still get the 800. There are plenty of situations where the extra power can come in handy.

Most reactions

Back