sb600 or sb900?

rodman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Wife says I can get either or! I LOVE MY WIFE! :heart:

Considering this is my first off camera flash and I've never used one in my life .... what should I get?

Pros and Cons or each?

sb-600

save your $300 and get some other cool stuff

That's QUITE a bit of range there, and you're skipping the 800 entirely.

I have the Sb-600 and 800 myself. Both are great, though I actually find myself using the SB-600 more in situations with people who are pretty close. The SB-800 can actually be a bit overpowering at times and the recycle times are lower (better with the optional 5th battery, but I hate burning an uneven number of batteries)

This really is VERY much a case where each of these flashes will work, but they have pros and cons which you may personally decide are more or less of a concern for you. Best bet is to look at a comparison chart such as :

Compare Nikon SB-900 vs SB-800 vs SB-600 « Nikon Reviews

You can't go wrong with the 600 as a starter, btw, and it's cheap. :)

SB-900. Why? Because it's the coolest flash ever made. :)

Hey, sometimes you just have to be practical.

Yep, exactly, get 2 600's and still save yourself $100
I guess true practicality is prudent.

But don't you just want to play with that big, super cool SB-900? It almost makes me want to go pick up a D300. :mrgreen:

SB-900. Why? Because it's the coolest flash ever made. :)

Hey, sometimes you just have to be practical.

LOL. There isn't much "practical" about photography.

I say get the SB600 as well. I have the SB600 and SB800 and honestly, I use the SB600 when I am on camera just because I am more familiar with it and when with clients, it is important that you know your equipment.

I have a couple shoots coming up that will be by studio lights, so I will break them both out then and learn the 800 better.

I love my little SB600. The display is also nicer than the SB800.

But don't you just want to play with that big, super cool SB-900? It almost makes me want to go pick up a D300. :mrgreen:
But you have the 580EX II...it's just a hair smaller than the SB-900. Is the SB-900 that much better?

The OP said it's his first off camera flash. According to his equipment list he has a D40. The D40 can't fire a flash remotely unless that flash is is in "SU-4" mode (D40 doesn't have a commander mode). This mode from what I understand is completely manual (not ttl) and limits the choice to the SB800 or the SB900 (if the SB900 supports this mode, I'm not sure)

That means that the SU800 remote firing module, or an SB800/900, will need to be used in commander mode to fire another flash. A hotshoe cable would also do the trick.

Of course if the OP meant the first flash that's not built into the camera then what I've just written is not applicable - which is shame because it's bloody hard typing on an iPhone ;)

So you're telling me I should go with tharmsen .... D300!! j/k

Wow ... so I should be looking at the SB800 or SB900

The OP said it's his first off camera flash. According to his equipment list he has a D40. The D40 can't fire a flash remotely unless that flash is is in "SU-4" mode (D40 doesn't have a commander mode). This mode from what I understand is completely manual (not ttl) and limits the choice to the SB800 or the SB900 (if the SB900 supports this mode, I'm not sure)

That means that the SU800 remote firing module, or an SB800/900, will need to be used in commander mode to fire another flash. A hotshoe cable would also do the trick.

Of course if the OP meant the first flash that's not built into the camera then what I've just written is not applicable - which is shame because it's bloody hard typing on an iPhone ;)

You are right, I forgot about the D40 not having that capability (I never had one). I also have the SU800 because my flash on my D70s blew out (long story) so I bought that as opposed to sending the camera out for months to Nikon. It is also a nice toy because it removes the extra catchlight that the oncamera flash produces for remote triggering.

Now he can use the SB600 ON camera, just not off for remote triggering without some kind of other equipment. But, I wouldn't limit myself before ever getting started :)

Most reactions

Back