SB700 coming tomorrow

And I was just correcting him in that he said shutter speed is for exposing the subject and aperture was for ambient. Of course everything is going to affect the overall exposure but if aperture isn't affected by flash then I don't really understand how you would expose the image
Thanks for correct me . I try to remember it as Shutter is not for Subject. And I type the opposite way. It would be better to fully understand the theory behind it instead of know it half way. Can someone explain it to me?

RichardsTPF said:
Thanks for correct me . I try to remember it as Shutter is not for Subject. And I type the opposite way. It would be better to fully understand the theory behind it instead of know it half way. Can someone explain it to me?

I'm not really sure but....I think it's because shutter speed determines how long light hits the sensor. Flash is so fast that shutter speed doesn't really play a huge role in exposing the subject.

RichardsTPF said:

I'm not really sure but....I think it's because shutter speed determines how long light hits the sensor. Flash is so fast that shutter speed doesn't really play a huge role in exposing the subject.

Correct. The flash is near instantaneous so shutter speed does not affect it because the flash occurs faster than the shutter opens and closes (generally). Ambient light is exposed if it hits the sensor long enough which is why shutter speeds affects ambient exposure. When exposing for ambient light + flash lighting, you expose for each separately (at least as I understand it you do).

MTVision said:

Flash is typically very fast, shorter duration than the shutter duration, so flash exposure is not affected by shutter speed (Part 2.) But of course, any continuous light is still affected by shutter speed, like we always understood. Normal flash pictures usually see these two different light sources (flash and ambient) as a double exposure, involving two exposures, and two different concepts of rules. The camera meters these separately, and we can control them individually. Since flash exposure does not care about shutter speed, but shutter speed does affect any ambient light, then specifically, we can use shutter speed as a tool to adjust the ratio between flash and continuous light in our photos (Part 4).

This is from a website which explains it a little better.

Thanks Megan. Good explanation in easy to understand terms. Neil is good but I sometimes find him hard to follow. He's the master.

Find Strobist: Lighting 101 is very helpful. I am confused while I am reading this article Strobist: Lighting 101: Balancing Flash and Ambient, Pt 1
The author mentioned dropping the ambient down by two stops to build an underexposed ambient-light. How about the flash power? Adjust the flash output till get right exposure on the subject 's face, so that we can have a separation between the subject and the background. Do I understand it right?

And in the comments below the article, Thomas Pickard tried to answer others' question. He keeps using f-stops to describe the flash output. This really confuse me. I only see fraction (1/1, 1/2, 1/8....) for manual and exposure compensation (-3 to +3) for TTL mode.

RichardsTPF said:
Find Strobist: Lighting 101 is very helpful. I am confused while I am reading this article Strobist: Lighting 101: Balancing Flash and Ambient, Pt 1
The author mentioned dropping the ambient down by two stops to build an underexposed ambient-light. How about the flash power? Adjust the flash output till get right exposure on the subject 's face, so that we can have a separation between the subject and the background. Do I understand it right?

And in the comments below the article, Thomas Pickard tried to answer others' question. He keeps using f-stops to describe the flash output. This really confuse me. I only see fraction (1/1, 1/2, 1/8....) for manual and exposure compensation (-3 to +3) for TTL mode.

I'm not too good at explaining flash but....they use fstops because aperture determines flash exposure......

Most reactions

New Topics

Back