sb700 mental breakdown

jarhead2042

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ok i have a d90 and remotely want to use my sb700. i have figured out how to use it but the built in flash on my d90 has to fire to set off the sb700...is there any way it can be done without the built in flash going off and killing the lighting im going for..i have tried reading the flash manual and the d90 one but they may as well be in brail at this point lol

jarhead2042 said:
ok i have a d90 and remotely want to use my sb700. i have figured out how to use it but the built in flash on my d90 has to fire to set off the sb700...is there any way it can be done without the built in flash going off and killing the lighting im going for..i have tried reading the flash manual and the d90 one but they may as well be in brail at this point lol

Is your built in flash set to commander mode? Or is the built in flash triggering the SB-700?

Either way the built in flash will go off. In commander mode the built in flash emits pulse of light to the flashes to tell them what to do.

It's not suppose to effect exposure since it happens before exposure but who knows...

Hi everyone, I've had the exact same problem with a D90 and Metz 50 AF-1. Here is the thread I had opened:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/lighting-hardware/275089-built-flash-firing-off-even-if-i-set-off-commander-panel.html

I
'm afraid that, even if you set the Commander to "--", it will still emit a little flash of flight and yes, it will be when the shutter is open. See this picture:

$czuk0.jpg

However, it will be a very weak pulse and, in normal conditions, it will not affect your pictures. When I say normal conditions, I mean two things:

1) Reasonable aperture and ISO. As soon as my Metz was delivered, I started playing with lighting, making portraits of oranges and apples with hard or soft light, different angles, etc... At ISO 200 and F4, I did not see the built-in flash at all. However, at 3200 and F/2.8 with a close subject, it might get in the way.

2) Reflecting surfaces. If you have a reflecting surface right in front of you, perpendicular to the direction you're shooting and very close to the camera, you'll see the built-in flash. See this picture:

$DSC_0719.jpg

However, you can solve this problem by putting something in front of the built-in flash. The "something" can be a proper Nikon accessory (SG-31R IR Panel for Built-In Flash from Nikon) or a piece of paper stuck between the body and flash, which is how I shot this:

$DSC_0722.jpg

Bye bye!

Yes, the Nikon Commander mode does use the internal flash for communications. I've never had any problems by setting mine to commander mode and turning the internal flash to off. It will still flash, but as has been noted, should do so before the shutter opens so as not to affect the exposure.

The alternatives are to purchase an SB-800 Speedlight Commander which uses infrared for communications or radio triggers.

thanks for the help, i ll have to play with it alittle more. commander mode is how i have been using it as a stand alone flash but last night noticed the built in flash going off to and showed up in a few of my pictures

If you haven't already, take a look at page 188 of your D90 user's manual - Option: Built-in flash.

The last little flash of light from the pop-up is the FIRE signal. The SB-700 only needs the IR component of that little flash, but the built-in is incapable of only emitting IR.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back