Scammed on amazon? FD 50mm 1.4 ssc question!

Edian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone! First post here :)

I just started studying film photography here in miami. Looking forward to sharing and learning from all of you guys here!

I ran into an issue just now and need someone to help me figure something out...... I just got a canon FD 50mm SSC 1.4 to replace the 1.8 that came with my AE-1.

It arrived with what appears to be a scratch on the middle glass element.
111864-b8aa8d3714b69b4f03c51efa0663b249.jpg
111865-ad431879065e6d3d65f6dbef230a29cd.jpg

I contacted the vendor immediately and sent them pictures of the lens. The seller responded to me saying that there was no way the lens was scratched and that they had photos to prove it.

They sent me an out of focus picture of the front of the lens and a side view picture.
111861-9b5cbe848c1c0f49bc3051309e06d73a.jpg
111862-63375992d315824edba407b6e4889b68.jpg

Then they said i could return it.

All of a sudden i got another email saying that the serial number on the rear element did not match their records.
111860-c84e16965cfa74ff393bafc2bcb71e78.jpg

( the side view pic they had previously sent matched the serial number on the outside of the lens that was sent to me ) they proceeded to call me a lier and threatened to file a report against me. I told them they must have made a mistake and to please verify their records. they then responded by saying they would file the report against me.

Upon closer inspection of the final photo they sent me ( the one with the all of a sudden "new" serial number on the rear element ) it is not even the right lens as the FD 50mm ssc AS FAR AS I CAN TELL. that is why I am here asking for some help. I am an amateur photographer and might be mistaken...

but from what I can tell - The glass is way too small for a 1.4 and there are 2 silver pegs on the rear element right beside each other. the actual lens they sent me does not have those 2 pegs side by side. A google search also showed me other 1.4 ssc lenses that had the same rear element as the lens in my possession, not one of them looked like the one they are claiming is correct.
111860-c84e16965cfa74ff393bafc2bcb71e78.jpg
111863-cc74692adbaeee9789121e9c941dbdca.jpg
111864-b8aa8d3714b69b4f03c51efa0663b249.jpg

Can anyone figure this out for me? sorry if its a bit rambly and incoherent but i'm upset and tried my best to make it sense-ical!

The white background pictures are the ones they sent me.

the dark ones are the lens I received from them. Any advice would be great :( :)

Attachments

• IMG_4261.JPG
    IMG_4261.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_4260.JPG
    IMG_4260.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_4259.JPG
    IMG_4259.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_4257.JPG
    IMG_4257.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG_4254.JPG
    IMG_4254.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 199
  • IMG_4252.JPG
    IMG_4252.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 173
You are getting the "I don't want to give you a refund" bull crap. I would report them, they are the frauds. I assume you are being up front and honest. Did it have both caps? Don't let them bully you. Be firm and get a refund.

File a bbb report, call Amazon directly, and file a police report if you want. Contact Amazon first, by phone.

Depending on your payment method, you may want to contact PayPal or your bank or whatever it is.

Thanks guys. I contacted amazon and they contacted the seller. They are sending me the return label now. Is there a way to clean the inner element? i really want a 1.4 but the ones ive seen locally are all pretty used. Not sure i want to take my chance buying this online again.

You can't clean a scratch. You have to replace the lens element. And disassembling lenses is not a typical DIY project.

I have read that sometimes there is a mold trail or something inside, would that look like a scratch? or does a scratch only look like a scratch....

Just talk to Amazon, they'll make good.

thanks @jcdeboever , I just ordered it :) and thank you everyone else for the comments.

Going to send back the amazon one tomorrow.

I am a top reviewer and have a photography badge on amazon , however I don't like leaving bad reviews.... what do you guys think? Should I say something incase they have tried this on other people?

thanks @jcdeboever , I just ordered it :) and thank you everyone else for the comments.

Going to send back the amazon one tomorrow.

I am a top reviewer and have a photography badge on amazon , however I don't like leaving bad reviews.... what do you guys think? Should I say something incase they have tried this on other people?
I would but take the emotion out of it and be factual. Also mention you had to take steps to get it returned. Honest and reputable sellers would have no issue on taking things back. As a seller, it is their responsibility to ethically present and sell the item through the complete cycle of the purchase.

I may be having deja vu, but i swear i remember reading this post before and seeing those exact same pictures. like sometime last year.

you realize also they are sending pictures of two different lenses?

yea, the pictures they sent of the front (blurry so you cant see the scratch inside) and the side lens ( matching serial numbers) are the actual lens they sent me, the back view picture is not a 50mm ssc lens and that is what they are claiming they sent me.

but im mailing it back, i contacted amazon and they contacted the seller.

I'd report it to Amazon and let their company deal with the seller, especially if the seller has threatened giving you a bad report. I would most likely block the seller if they've sent emails (but save the emails already received just in case). If you choose to give feedback for the seller on Amazon that's up to you. As someone said, if you do, try to stick to the facts about what happened.

Try http://www.keh.com for used, or the used camera depts. of Adorama or B&H (both in NYC). They're reputable sellers. I've bought from all three.

@jcdeboever I just got an email from the etsy vendor saying that they found a scratch on the lens so they will be refunding me. Back to the search. I might take another chance on amazon

@jcdeboever I just got an email from the etsy vendor saying that they found a scratch on the lens so they will be refunding me. Back to the search. I might take another chance on amazon
Well, that's good they did it right off the bat.

Most reactions

Back