Scan old Negatives

alwat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have, like many photographers have is a box of old photo's and negatives, What I would like to do scan the negatives, can anyone recommend a inexpesive Photo Negative

Scanner is like buying a camera... you get what you pay for.

If the final quality isn't important, pretty much any low end scanner that has the ability to scan negatives will work. Don't expect too much from the final result.

If the final quality is important, then you should consider a dedicated film scanner which is going to be expensive.

If you want great quality with the flexibility of a flatbed, I can only recommend the Epson V700 or V750. Many have posted good results with the smaller brother, V500.

If this is a one time project, then you really should consider just sending the negatives out to be scanned by someone. They'll have better equipment that is not normally attainable for the typical budget AND it will save you time. Scanning negatives is tedious and time consuming.. not fun at all. Do your research as not all scanning services are equal.

If you scrolled down a bit, there was a thread just a few days ago on the topic. Search function will reveal even more.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...oducts-news-reviews/197124-photo-scanner.html

To add to what usayit said, I would say that "you get what you pay for" is even more true here than with cameras. With the scanner, it is all rolled into one device.

Whereas with cameras, the lens does a lot of the work, and one can save some money on the body.

I have a flatbed scanner with a provision to scan negatives & slides. It doesn't work well at all. I have much better results by scanning the larger prints. But then, everything is not printed, is it?

If you have low humidity, dust control will also be a pain in the neck.

Just send it out somewhere. The only way I'd consider doing this myself would be if I found a good deal on ebay on a high-end negative scanner.

I have, like many photographers have is a box of old photo's and negatives, What I would like to do scan the negatives, can anyone recommend a inexpesive Photo Negative

Any "inexpensive" solution will be a compromise. The best quality is never inexpensive.

Before you begin your search in earnest, inventory your collection to determine what formats are involved. The range of formats will likely dictate your options. If you have formats other than 35mm you will likely find that there are no dedicated film scanners that can handle the job that are not rather expensive.

If $200-250USD filts your definition of "inexpensive" then you best option may well be something like the EPSON v500 and v600 flatbed scanners. These do rather good work from negs up to medium format 120.

Most reactions

Back