Scanner choices.. Help!

WB8588

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So im looking at scanners. I want a dedicated film scanner. I dont need a scanner that can scan documents. The plustek opticfilm 120 looks (based on specs) like the right choice. It scans 35 and 120 which is the only film i plan on shooting. Im not looking for Fine Art quality scans but i dont want the scans to come out muddy and blurry. And speed or lack thereof isnt a big concern. Photography is just a hobby for me.The biggest i plan on printing is 8x10. Any recommendations? And anyone with a Plustek opticfilm 120 leave your thoughts. Really appreciate it guys!

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Plustek OpticFilm 120

Looks like an OK choice for 35mm and 120. Maybe by now, the mfr. has bundled it with better software than back in 2014.

It's not available anywhere anymore... that I can find anyway. (I was looking for a new scanner a while back, but gave up and stuck with my v700)

Plustek OpticFilm 120

Looks like an OK choice for 35mm and 120. Maybe by now, the mfr. has bundled it with better software than back in 2014.

It's not available anywhere anymore... that I can find anyway. (I was looking for a new scanner a while back, but gave up and stuck with my v700)

I had assumed that the OP had a "line" on an actual for-sale Plustek Optic Film 120.... but was surprised that the article I found was from 2014. Still, as slowly as 120-capable film scanners sell, it seem possible that the OP might find a 2014-era NOS Plustek Optic Film 120 somewhere in North America...

Plustek OpticFilm 120

I had assumed that the OP had a "line" on an actual for-sale Plustek Optic Film 120.... but was surprised that the article I found was from 2014. Still, as slowly as 120-capable film scanners sell, it seem possible that the OP might find a 2014-era NOS Plustek Optic Film 120 somewhere in North America...
I realized it was discontinued after i posted this smh. But now im thinking about getting an Epson v600. Any experience with that?

Plustek OpticFilm 120

I realized it was discontinued after i posted this smh. But now im thinking about getting an Epson v600. Any experience with that?

I have the V700 and it's pretty decent. From what i've read, the V600 has the same capabilities as far as quality, it has smaller film holders. The thing with getting good scans with these though, is adjusting the film holder height properly. It's kind of a trial and error thing, but I got mine to work pretty well.

Plustek OpticFilm 120

I have the V700 and it's pretty decent. From what i've read, the V600 has the same capabilities as far as quality, it has smaller film holders. The thing with getting good scans with these though, is adjusting the film holder height properly. It's kind of a trial and error thing, but I got mine to work pretty well.
Do you have a flickr that you use to post your images? I want to check out your scans

I have the V800. It gets the job done for what I use it for. I'm not impressed with flat beds and 35mm for printing. They work. V600, V700, V800... pretty close. I think the holders for the v6 and v7 are better

Do you have a flickr that you use to post your images? I want to check out your scans

Yeah, but I only started updating it recently, Brandon

I also post my most recent film shots on the link in my signature

Most reactions

Back